International Boulevard sign in Atlanta, Georgia.

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by APS221, Jun 21, 2013.

1. APS221

APS221 Member

I just came across this news report from Atlanta, Georgia.
    Veterans said city sign displays American flag incorrectly - CBS Atlanta 46
    It seems there's a gantry-mounted sign over International Boulevard with panels that have flags painted on them. It seems the American Flag panel has been mounted with the union in the top-right instead of the top left. However, while watching the report, I noticed several other flag mistakes.
    First, next to the American Flag is the Spanish Flag with the coat-of-arms in the center instead of closer to the hoist. On the Spanish Flag, the top of coat-of-arms is pointing left. This is strange since every other flag has the top of the flag pointing to the right. I also know that the Canadian and Australian flags should be hung with the top pointing left.
    Here is an image of the gantry from Google Images:
    [​IMG]
    Like the reporter, I went online to find more pictures of the gantry to see how it has looked in the past. I found this picture that shows the gantry once had a Soviet Flag:
    [​IMG]
    According to the report the gantry was constructed in the mid-1990s. This picture would indicate the gantry was constructed prior to 1990, or the Soviet Flag was included 5 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. In this picture, the top of each flag is on the right.
    I also found this image:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the American, Spanish, Canadian, German, Mexican, Australian, Dutch, and Greek Flags all have the top pointing to the left. It appears the Soviet flag is a faded pink rectangle.
    I found more images that show the gantry with the Soviet Flag replaced by a Russian Flag, and the Spanish Flag with the coat-of-arms closer to the top/hoist. The images also show the flags with their tops pointing to the right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, the claim that the flag is displayed correctly because the union is on the north side over an east-west street seems to be an excuse to avoid admitting the flag is displayed incorrectly. Obviously, that guideline is meant to apply to an actual two-sided flag. An actual flag would be seen as correct on the west side of the street, and incorrect on the east side of the street. The flag panels on the sign are not two-sided.
    Anyway, I'm not upset like the man interviewed in the report. I just think it shows a lack of research and attention to detail.

2. APS221

APS221 Member

It looks like one of the images didn't post properly. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

If memory serves me correctly, Australia has the same rule for displaying their Flag vertically as we do: Their canton (UK's Union Jack) should be in the upper left-hand quadrant as seen by the observer/viewer.
    All in all, mistakes and all, I think Atlanta's "International Boulevard" sign is pretty cool. :cool:
    I AM wondering if anyone from any of the other countries whose Flag is depicted incorrectly has complained about it. Or is that just an American "Thing"???

"FLAG UP, AMERICA !!!"

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man" :cool:
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

4. APS221

APS221 Member

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

It would be interesting to know the "pedigree" of this particular rule. As far as I know, the US was the first of those nations to formally codify its flag display rules, and I wonder if other nations have simply followed suit. As I've mentioned before, this rule gets awkward when the US flag is displayed vertically with flags that have lettering on them, as do many state flags. To make the lettering read correctly, the state flag must be hung "backwards" relative to the US flag.

7. APS221

APS221 Member

8. APS221

APS221 Member

9. APS221

APS221 Member

10. APS221

APS221 Member

It looks like the gantry has been fixed and restored to its previous layout.
    CBS46's Adam Murphy receives Americanism Patriot Award - CBS46 News

Atlanta International Boulevard011.jpg

As you can see, in addition to the American flag being changed, several others have been as well. Like the American flag, the Australian and Greek flag also have the union at the viewer's top left. The horizontal tricolors of Russia, Germany, and The Netherlands have gone back to having the top stripe on the left. The top of the Canadian maple leaf and Mexican coat-of-arms are back on the left.

11. AndresCalver

AndresCalver New Member

i think it is the trend followed by many countries in order to save the space..I have seen it many a times..

12. APS221

APS221 Member

What? Are you referring to the flags being displayed vertically?