Is there a quality Residential Flag Pole out there?

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by nsnoply1, May 2, 2011.

1. nsnoply1

nsnoply1 New Member

Hi everyone - I'm new to this site and I already think its great; lots of useful info! I am planning on installing a 20' Flag Pole in my front yard. I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and while it’s not usually windy here we do get the occasional days where the wind gusts over 50mph. I have been looking at various flag pole kits in stores and online and they all seem to be cheaply made. I don’t want to spend a ton but would rather invest the money upfront to keep the pole from bending/breaking if we get some serious wind. Any suggestions on what to buy or manufacture to look at? Thanks in advance.

2. flagnazi

flagnazi Member

nsnoply1: I am a member of the American Legion and have been quite pleased with their flag pole that we purchased for our local historic museum. It is a 20 ftr and is telescoping thus ease of lowering for repairs to flag etc. It has been up for about a year now, we get gusty winds also and it has remained erect. I am sure there are other places. Flagdesk is another place that I get parts for flag poles. YOu do not have to be a member of the American Legion to order from them. Mike

3. lledds

lledds New Member

Hi nsnoply1 -- Nine years ago, I purchased a telescoping flagpole [from Uncommon USA] for my husband's birthday [I love it too!] and it has been indestructable. I'm in the Air Force so we move around. It has withstood 4 years galeforce winds in WY, 1 year of humid bliss in LA and 4 years of dust storms in AZ. Presently in Turkey so we cannot fly it on base, but it's been a real trooper!

4. YCHistorian

YCHistorian New Member

I think the nicest residential flagpoles made are by PLP Technologies. They make fiberglass 20 and 25 ft flagpoles that you can install yourself. You can even order one with a yardarm. Go to: PLP Composite Technologies - Composite fiberglass flagpoles and lightpoles

-YC

5. Costy3

Costy3 New Member

How do you fly flags at half-staff with a telescoping pole? I considered buying one, but there did not seem to be a way to do this with the flag attached to the top.

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

... Hello, Costy3! Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

To fly a Flag at "Half-Staff" on a telescoping (telescopic) flagpole, of whatever height, the flagpole needs to be the type that is made to fly TWO Flags at the same time. To fly a Flag at "half-staff", simply fly only ONE Flag and fly it from the second (lower) position, all by itself, with NO Flag flying at the primary (upper) position when the flagpole is fully extended (telescoped up). While your "half-staffed" Flag won't be at the "true" halfway mark, your intent to honor and commemorate the fallen should be clear.

I hope this answers your Flag-related question!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. Costy3

Costy3 New Member

Thanks, Robin!

Fred Cost

QUOTE=Robin Hickman;34941]... Hello, Costy3! Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

To fly a Flag at "Half-Staff" on a telescoping (telescopic) flagpole, of whatever height, the flagpole needs to be the type that is made to fly TWO Flags at the same time. To fly a Flag at "half-staff", simply fly only ONE Flag and fly it from the second (lower) position, all by itself, with NO Flag flying at the primary (upper) position when the flagpole is fully extended (telescoped up). While your "half-staffed" Flag won't be at the "true" halfway mark, your intent to honor and commemorate the fallen should be clear.

I hope this answers your Flag-related question!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    [/QUOTE]

8. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

You're Welcome, Fred !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

9. Jeremiah Smith

Jeremiah Smith New Member

Hey, I know this is a late post but check out A Specialties aspecialties.us , The owner is a friend of mine and is very well known for his flagpole business around Indy. Happy to reference him to you if you would like