Is this what a Harvard Education gets you?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by NAVA1974, May 6, 2011.

1. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

2. Two Fish

Two Fish New Member

Harvard is a liberal arts school. You can hardly expect them to count and do math. If they could do that they would all be at MIT.

Anyone recognize at what school these picture were taken? I was in this church visiting just a few weeks ago. The flags are all replicas now with the real ones tucked away safely. It wasn't too many years ago though that the real ones were displayed this way. It was here I first got interested in historic US flags. You can probably see why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

This looks like the Chapel at West Point. I took similar photos in 1975 when the original flags were hanging there.

Nick A
    Columbia MD

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or are ALL 34 Stars in the Union UPSIDE-DOWN ???

[​IMG]

:D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Robin,

Your question assumes there is a standard for "right-side-up!" :eek:

And of course there was no such standard until 1912.

Actually, when I look at that 34-star flag, I see all the stars pointing to the upper left. :D

By the way, that form of 34-star flag is the most common one I have seen. Thirty two of the stars are printed/dyed in the canton, and two additional stars are inset (hand stitched) between the first two columns. I have seen at least a dozen examples of this flag on web sites, in museums, antique shops, at Civil War collector's shows, on eBay, etc. Only once have I seen that flag with only 32-stars, and my guess is that it was a manufacturer's remnant, ie made in the 1861-1863 period but the 33rd and 34th stars never got put on.

Nick A
    Columbia, Maryland

See Civil War Flags - a set on Flickr for other ACW flags, including three 34-star flags, AND some real 35-star flags.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  6. Robin Hickman

QUOTE : Actually, when I look at that 34-star flag, I see all the stars pointing to the upper left. :D

OR...... Are they actually pointing to the upper RIGHT, hmmmm..... ??? :D

Robin

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I think it depends on whether you are a Republican or a Democrat.:p

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

8. Robin Hickman

Ah..... So if "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder, then UPSIDE-DOWN is the "correct" answer !!! :eek:

BTW : How come almost all of the pre-1912 Flags we see have "upright" (right side up) stars, medallion and other "special" groupings excepted?

Just wondering . . . . .

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA