July 7, 2009 half-staff?

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by ITShark, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ITShark

ITShark New Member

I have been researching all morning to discover why Vandenberg AFB, CA. is flying all flags at half-staff? The state flags are even at half-staff! Does anyone know why or where I may find out why? Thanks, CB

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I have been researching all morning to discover why Vandenberg AFB, CA. is flying all flags at half-staff? The state flags are even at half-staff! Does anyone know why or where I may find out why?

The flags are at half-staff for the death of former Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara.

Interestingly, neither the civilian "flag code" nor the applicable Presidential Proclamation (3044) state that the flag should be half-staffed for a former Secretary of Defense. However, there is a separate Department of Defense Directive (DODD 1005.6) stating that "Flags located in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories and possessions on all DoD buildings, grounds, and naval vessels shall be displayed at half-staff from the day of death through the day of interment" for former Secretaries of Defense and certain other officials.

Peter Ansoff

3. LtTim

LtTim New Member

When I drove by the Lewis and Clark Center at Ft. Leavenworth I saw the flag at half mast. I finally found out why, and as I suspected, it is for Mr. McNamara. My question is now, for how long? I know it should be flown at Half Mast until his burial. I have not seen anywhere or found anyone who knows for sure when the flags should be returned to full mast.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

LtTim,

It should be at half-staff through the day of internment. See the quote from DODD 1005.6 in my previous post.

Peter Ansoff

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member