Large 40 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by mark9564, Feb 24, 2015.

1. mark9564

mark9564 New Member

I came across a large (maybe 15' or longer) 40 star flag today. It had some tears here and there (obviously very old) and appeared to be made of wool. The owner says it is from 1889 and he is asking $245. I am new to flags so I dont want to spen more than it is worth, can anybody give me any help?
    Thanks

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Mark, and welcome to the USA Flag Forum.

While 40-star flags are fairly scarce, a 15-foot long flag of any age is rather difficult to display, as you might imagine. There are some collectors who like owning a historic relic such as that even though they may only be able to share it through photographs. I have flags with 32, 34, 37, 38, 45, and 46-stars that are all 12 to 15 feet long or longer, but the prices I paid were a fraction of the cost of a 3x5 foot flag of the same age. (Not that you are ever likely to find a 3x5 foot 32-star or 34-star flag fully sewn in wool bunting, but that's another story entirely.)

That being said, $245 for a 40-star flag in good condition may not be unreasonable if it is authentic to the period and in good condition. If there are significant tears that make it difficult to hang for display, or a lot of mothing, then I would avoid it. There are 40-star flags printed/dyed in wool that come up occasionally on the market and they are of a much more displayable size. You may have to pay way more than $245, however.

If you can get a photo or two from the dealer and post them here, that would help.

Nick A