Lead flag in a city's 4th of July Parade

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by John4300, Jul 7, 2009.

1. John4300

John4300 New Member

Can anyone tell me if the following situation is correct. On a 4th of July parade two police cars lead this parade. Next came an antique fire truck with signs on each side that read American Legion Post _ _ _ _ . The next unit was the said American Legion Post with Colors leading the veteerans who followed. My question: is it proper or correct or permissable for this firetruck which represents the Legion Post to proceed the Stars and Strips in this kind of a parade? Thanks for your time and effort...........John

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, John -- glad to have you in the forum!

I don't think that there's anything in the flag code that addresses the precedence of fire trucks (-;

Seriously, though -- I agree that it's more usual to put the flag at the front of a marching unit (considering the truck and the veterans to be a single unit, since both are from the AL Post), but there's no special reason why it has to be that way. There might have been some logistical reason that the truck had to come first, although it's hard to imagine what it might be. I do think that it was more appropriate for the flag to be carried by the veterans rather than flown on the truck.

Peter Ansoff