Looking for some information on my flag..

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by catfish33, Jan 7, 2014.

1. catfish33

catfish33 New Member

Recently received this flag for Christmas and am having a hard time finding any information on it. It measure 5' 2" x 11', has 2 grommet, has 48 stitched on stars but the bottom row of stars seems awfully close to the bottom of the blue making me wonder if it wasn't a 40 star flag at some point. It has a small very tattered and unreadable tag just under the top grommet. It has a number of patched holes in the what seems to be cotton or muslin. If anyone might have any insight on this please let me know. Here are 2 pics that I have of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Jeremy,

That flag looks like an original 48-star flag. I do not see anything that would lead me to believe it was made with fewer stars. During World War II so many flags were made using mass-production that variations in the placement of the stars were not uncommon.
    Also your flag looks like it may be made of wool bunting, but with very few moth holes. That makes it even more desirable.

Thanks for posting your question!

Nick
    Columbia Maryland

3. catfish33

catfish33 New Member

After doing some more research I believe you are right, it seems to be wool bunting. And the few repairs are more than likely from moths. Can you narrow down when it was made by the material and odd size? Also it has metal, not brass grommets.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I would guess your flag was made in the 1940's.
    The grommets are probably zinc-plated steel, just like the steel pennies of 1943 that were minted due to the shortage of copper (all the copper was going into making brass shell casings for World War II.) The size is odd. The official proportions of flags made to government specifications ar 1:1.9, as seen in the table linked here:

Flag Sizes

For a flag that measures 5 feet, 2 inches on the hoist, the lenght ought to be 9 feet, 9 inches, not 11 feet.

Nick
    Columbia Maryland

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Looking at the large number of grommets spaced evenly along the hoist (header), maybe it kind of "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d" out because it was hung VERTICALLY for a long period of time in a rather humid place??? :confused::confused::confused:

Just wondering..... :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

6. catfish33

catfish33 New Member

Yes it seems to have been hung vertically. It has just the two grommets, but the three other spots are rust rings from what I guess were large tacks. That is a lot for a flag to stretch isn't it? Anyone want to venture a guess on what is worth? Not looking to sell just curious.

7. Robin Hickman

Hi, Catfish!

I stand corrected: Three (3) rust rings and NOT grommets! I don't know how much a 9'9" wool Flag can stretch if hung in a vertical position for a period of time (years?) in any particulat environment. I would think that if the "center" portion of the Flag's length is NOTICEABLY narrower than the "Fly End" or the "Hoist End", then in all likelyhood, the Flag was somehow stretched, probably from being hung vertically for quite awhile. If the "center" section of the Flag's length is NOT noticeably narrower than either end of the Flag..... then I can honestly say that I have NO IDEA as to why the Flag is some much longer than "usual".

Please note that I am NOT an "expert" in any way, shape, or form (stretched or not) when it comes to Flag fabrics. PERIOD. I'm just offering my own personal "common sense" opinion based on my limited experience. I believe that NAVA1974 (Nick) is the recognized expert regarding Flag fabrics here on the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums. So, he's the one who will be most likely be able to help you. Don't be surprised if he asks you for additional photos (close-ups) of various parts or portions of the Flag and its construction.

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

8. catfish33

catfish33 New Member

Didn't think about what you described Robin. If anyone wants any other pics of any portion of this grand old flag I will be more than happy to oblige them.

9. Robin Hickman

Hi, Catfish!

Like I said, I'm NOT an "expert" when it comes to Flag fabrics/materials. But with the rust marks along the header, that indicates to me that the flag was hung vertically in a somewhat humid space. With the Flag hanging vertically, the weight of the Flag would be, in effect, pulling the bottom end down while the tacks pushed through the hoist (header) would be holding it up. BUT..... I don't know enough about wool or wool flags to be able to say with any certainty that THAT is the cause of your Flag's "elongation". Nick (NAVA1974) is the major expert on Flag fabrics around here, so let's see what he has to say about it.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.