Louisiana updates flag!

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by csaanv, Nov 23, 2010.

1. csaanv

csaanv Member

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

The "bleeding pelican" has been on the Louisiana flag all along, but apparently the blood drops were not mentioned in the existing state law. The new version also seems to have an updated depiction of the pelican itself (the wings are different). However, it seems like a bit of a stretch to call it a "new flag"!

Apparently, the symbol of the bleeding pelican has a long history, and was known in medieval heraldry as "the pelican in her piety." According to this discussion on FOTW

Arbois (Municipality, Jura, France)

it was a religous symbol of the Resurrection: The pelican was said to kill her own fledglings and resurrecting them three days later by slashing her chest and shedding the fledglings with her own blood, the same way God resurrected His Son on the Third Day.

Peter Ansoff
  3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

After seeing the title of this thread I was relieved to see that the flag was not redesigned by reducing the pelican to a small symbol in the upper hoist with the text LOUISIANA emblazoned underneath. :eek:

PLEASE don't forward this comment to anyone in Louisiana lest they get the wrong idea and make things worse. :eek:

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Well at least is not an oil rig on a blue background.
  5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Sorry, but that design has been taken! :D

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

LOL! No wonder they left Houston.
  7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Active Member

Hi, All! (Happy Thanksgiving!)

A while back I had heard (or read) a rumor that Louisiana was contemplating re-designing their old flag or maybe getting a whole new one. If I remember correctly, most of the rumor's "Noise" was to the effect of getting rid of the pelican and replacing it with some form of the "Fleur-de-lis" design.

Unfortunately, I can't remember if I'd heard about it before or after the New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl.

But..... That was then and this is now!

GO DUCKS !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
  8. PRGringo

PRGringo New Member

What a disappointment! I really wanted to see them get rid of the pelican. It looks like it is sitting on an old tire on the flag I own.