Lowering the flag by yourself

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Peavley, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Peavley

Peavley New Member

Hello everyone,

I have searched the site and can not find an answer to this question:

How exactly does one lower and fold the flag when they are by themselves? Right now at my work the man assigned to the flag simply lowers the flag and folds it as if he is folding a towel and carries it inside and puts it on the counter. Would it be ok if he lowered it without it touching the ground and carried it inside and spread it out on a desk then folded it properly? I have also heard of other people attampting to fold it properly while it is still hooked to the post, but I do not see how this can be done.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, Steve

2. Just George

Just George New Member

Hello Steve.

Here's what I do.

I untie the rope and clear it, then slowly lower the flag until I can reach the bottom of it. Then I loosen up on the rope and let the flag sort of slowly fall into my arms. I re-tie the rope and go into the house. I stand at the foot of the bed and flatten the flag out. Then fold it correctly.

Sure hope this helps. It gets a little iffy in high wind so watch it.

Just George

3. hi there

i am also a lone flag folder!!

i ether lay it on my bed to fold it - there video on youtube of me doing that entitled 'flag folding demonstration'

or if im at mybrthers he has an indoor balcony above the steps witch is tal eought for my to hold the end of a 5x9 5 flag without the other end touching the stairs - then i can very easily fold it that way