lyrics to Armed Forces songs

Discussion in 'Other US Patriotic Songs' started by Nancywg, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Nancywg

Nancywg New Member

We are looking for the lyrics sung by the branches of our armed forces; Army, Navy, Marine, and Air Force. Can anyone diect me? We sang these songs growing up but alas, silver moments have taken over and we've forgotten the lyrics.:eek:

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Nancywg ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "We are looking for the lyrics sung by the branches of our armed forces; Army, Navy, Marine, and Air Force. Can anyone diect me? We sang these songs growing up but alas, silver moments have taken over and we've forgotten the lyrics."

There's GOOD news and there's BAD news.....

The GOOD NEWS : There are copies of the lyrics to ALL of those songs AND for the Coast Guard song, "Semper Paratus" !!!

The BAD NEWS : the lyrics for MOST of those songs have changed in some way over the years !!! In some cases, the lyrics might have changed SO much that you might not even recognize the song!

So, I'd guess that the Good/Bad news is you can find 'em but you might not know it!

A "little known fact" about me is that when I was in NAVY Boot Camp in San Diego, California from March to June, 1970, I was in the Blue Jacket Choir. I was not only a member of the Blue Jacket Choir, I was it's RCPO (Recruit Chief Petty Officer) AND the holder of the PRIZED "Oregon Pillow" !!! :cool:

As you might expect, we sang "Achors Aweigh" every single day whether it was a rehearsal or a performance. We also practiced and sang the Navy Hymn, "Eternal Father" quite a bit too. What might NOT be expected is that we often sang an "Armed Forces" medley!

I just heard an "Armed Forces Medley" today and I almost didn't recognize it. Oh, I recognized the melodies all right, but it was the lyrics that had changed. I think the Marine Corps Hymn ("From The Halls Of Montezuma") was the only one that hadn't !!!

I'm too YOUNG to have a "Senior Moment" !!! :eek:

Anyway, Nancy, I just wanted you to know that someone saw your "plea" for help. I'll see what I can find "out there" on the Internet. Rather than post lyrics to the songs, I might just post LINKS to the sites that have the lyrics and let YOU decide which sets of lyrics you "remember" !!!

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin Hickman

3. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, Nancy ! :D

After "Googling" around for a little bit, I think I "might" have found a couple of web sites that just might "fit the bill".

The FIRST one is on the "National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences". I am NOT making this up! Who KNEW ??? :eek:

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/musicpatriot.htm

It has a collection of 29 "Patriotic" songs, including ALL of the Armed Forces' Songs. You click on the song you're interested in and it will send you to the page where the song's lyrics are AND it will play a nice (cheezy) MIDI rendition of the song!

NOTE : I did NOT check every single song there, but the ones I DID check seemed to have most of the words that I remember (if you know what I mean...).

The SECOND site is titled, appropriately enough, "PatrioticMusic.org".

http://www.PatrioticMusic.org/

It has a collection of 20 Patriotic Songs. Each song has a little "background" piece about it. Sorry, no MIDI music here!

Hope one or the other (or both) are what you are looking for!

If NOT, then you can always "Google" the name of the Armed Service, plus the word, "song" (see below). In each case the lyrics you're looking for should be in the first five (or ten) results.

To use Google to find the songs "Copy/Paste" EXACTLY what each line says!

"U.S. Army" +song
    "U.S. Navy" + song
    "U.S. Air Force" +song
    "U.S. Marine Corps" +song
    "U.S. Coast Guard" +song

Let US know how it goes !!! :D

Robin "Anchors Aweigh, My Boys" Hickman

4. atvguy

atvguy New Member

Here's a photo of The Marine's Hymn from 1929!

[​IMG]

5. mjohnson

mjohnson New Member

I read this thread with Robin Hickman answering a question about
    lyrics to Armed Services Songs. In it Robin stated, "A "little known fact"
    about me is that when I was in NAVY Boot Camp in San Diego, California from
    March to June, 1970, I was in the Blue Jacket Choir. I was not only a member of the Blue Jacket Choir, I was it's RCPO (Recruit Chief Petty Officer) AND the holder of the PRIZED "Oregon Pillow" !!!". This is very interesting to me because I was the Musical RCPO of the BJC in San Diego, graduating in March of 1970. I differentiate Musical from the choir’s other RCPO, who was known as the Military RCPO.

While the past 44 years have blurred my memory of the name of the young my I chose to succeed me, I would greatly appreciate hearing from Robin to clarify if it was him or not. Also, another BJC alumnae (from 1971) has asked me about a special lyric to the Navy Hymn which was written for the choir. I, again, do not recall that lyric but would like to know if Robin does so I can pass it on to the other fellow.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond Robin. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Malcolm Johnson

6. Robin Hickman

Hello, Malcolm, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums! :cool:

I doubt that I was your Blue Jacket Choir (BJC) Recruit Chief Petty Officer (RCPO) "replacement", because the "timing" would have been a little "off". I didn't volunteer and join the BJC until AFTER I had already been in Basic Training ("Boot Camp") for four (4) weeks in recruit Company #70-139. So I didn't become a member of the BJC until early April, 1970.

The "deal" that we got in Boot Camp was that when we joined the BJC we would be singing on and off base, but we'd miss all of the rigorous, strenuous, physical exercise part of Boot Camp. The only perceived "down side" was that we'd have to attend Boot Camp for an extra two weeks. it seemed like a fair trade-off to me, and I loved to sing, so I signed up! A pleasant surprise after I joined was that while the 'regular' recruits were confined to base while in Boot Camp, we were allowed to go on "Liberty" on weekends while we were members of the BJC.

I do not remember that the BJC utilized two different RCPO's ("Musical" and "Military") during my time there. I did carry a pitch pipe with me almost every where we went, and I was the one who was in charge of marching the Choir from place to place. That does NOT mean that there weren't two different BJC RCPOs. It just means that I don't remember there being more than one. I was a little surprised that I got the honor of being named BJC RCPO, and I was MORE than a little surprised that I got it so early. Usually, the RCPOs were named every two weeks and the newly designated RCPO was in his last two weeks of Boot Camp. For some reason (unknown to me) I was named RCPO while still having four weeks left in Boot Camp. I probably asked about it at the time, but whatever the answer was, it has been lost in time and dim, fading memories. :eek:

At the time (Spring, 1970) the Blue Jacket Choir shared an old World War II era barracks complex with the recruit Band and the 50 States Flags companies. It was always nice to see the State Of Oregon Flag when the States' Flags guys were out and about.

I honestly don't remember who the Blue Jacket Choir's RCPO(s) before me or after me was/were. I don't even remember who the Choir Master (Choir Director) , other than that he was a civilian who had been doing it for a VERY long time, and that (maybe) he had the title of "Doctor" - as in earning a Doctorate Degree in Music.
    Heck! Other than they were both from the Great State of Oregon, I don't even remember who held the Prized "OREGON PILLOW" before or after me!!! IF the Prized "Oregon Pillow" is still in existence somewhere, and you found it, you'd have to check the names written on the lines above and below my name to find out who they were!!! :eek:

Regarding the "special" lyrics to the "Navy Hymn" ("Eternal Father") used by the Blue Jacket Choir: this is the first that I've heard of that. Of course you must understand that I don't think I'd ever heard of the song, much less sung it, UNTIL I'd become a member of the Blue Jacket Choir. So, whatever "version" and arrangement that the BJC used is the one I learned. And... I don't think I've sung it more than 5 or 10 times since then in the ensuing 44 years. I wish I could help you out with that but, sorry, I can't. Perhaps some diligent "Googling" might help you find the answer???

Anyway, Malcolm, Thank you for bringing your (almost) Flag-related question to our Forums!

"Fair Winds & Following Seas"!!! :cool:

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. Robin Hickman

8. mjohnson

mjohnson New Member

Robin,

Thank your for both of your responses. Your recollection of the BJC experience is pretty much the same as mine. And congratulations on the early tap for RCPO. "Doc" John Williams was the director (see below) and the accompanist was Jim Hansen/Hanson. Again, Thank you. I look forward to enjoying and learning from this great website.

From the Sep/Oct 2007 Stanford Alumni Magazine:
    "John A. Williams, DMA '67 (music), of Encinitas, Calif., April 18, at 86. He earned his bachelor's degree at the U. of Oregon and served in the Army during World War II. He then earned a master's degree from Teachers College, Columbia U. before coming to Stanford. He was a music teacher since 1948, and became the director of the San Diego Naval Training Center's Bluejacket Choir in 1965, a position he held for 20 years. He led the group in numerous performances, including an appearance on TV's The Ed Sullivan Show in the 1970s. His wife, Elizabeth, died in 2005. Survivors include one sister."