Made In The USA?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by paniolo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. paniolo

paniolo New Member

How many of us have actually looked at the flags we have bought. Next time your out at your local store and see a bin of American Flags, find out where they were made. I was sickened last time I was at the local hardware store and saw a bin of American Flags. I looked closer on the label (MADE IN CHINA)? This is just plain wrong that a company would actually sell an American Flag made outside the USA. Even sadder is that people are just buying them up. My personal thoughts are that all American Flags should 1. be Made in the USA. 2. Made by U.S. Veterans who have given so much to our country. Price should not be a deciding factor in a purchase (we're all a bit guilty of this). 3. While we're making nonsensical laws, why not make one that makes sense (All American Flags Must Be Made In The USA!). Lets get some pride back and take things back, even if its only one step at a time.

2. J.A.F.E.

J.A.F.E. New Member

I check. I feel buying an American flag not made here is disrespecting the flag.

Buying U.S.A. made goods is very important to me and this is not limited to flags.

3. coasterville

coasterville Member

Not to mention there is at least one organization out there looking after you in this regard.

I think it's FMAA? (Flag Makers Association of America?)

Not all grocery or big box stores sell junk flags - a lost of them sell Annin or Valley Forge, both well known American based operations.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I guess, in simplified terms, it can all come down to which is MORE "Important" to you: The country WHERE the Flag was made and imported from, OR "to the Republic for which it stands".

Seems simple enough to me.....

Anyway, I think I've read, or seen something, somewhere, that ALL U.S. flags 3'x5' or larger have to have their country of manufacture identified either on the Flag (usually the "header") or on their packaging. I don't really know for sure.

Also, I believer there is at least ONE State (Wisconsin) that does NOT allow the sale of imported flags inside of the State. Or perhaps it was more of a case that the State Government Offices and Departments is allowed (by law) to buy ONLY U.S. made Flags.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. J.A.F.E.

J.A.F.E. New Member

I don't say this to be argumentative but because "to the Republic for which it stands" is very important to me the origin of the flag I pledge to is also important to me.

I don't see it as an OR I see it as a BECAUSE.

6. Robin Hickman

For the "record", while I honestly prefer U.S. Made U.S. Flags, I try to see and understand both points of view.

Robin "Born In The U.S.A." Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I feel buying an American flag not made here is disrespecting the flag.

I'll play the devil's advocate: Why do you feel this way? An American flag is the distinctive symbol of our country, wherever it is made and whoever flies it. The Star Spangled Banner that flew over Fort McHenry in 1814 was made of English bunting -- does that make it somehow less worthy of respect? We honor the flag because of what its colors and design represent, not because of its physical composition or origin.

On July 14th of each year, I fly a French flag at my house to honor Bastille Day. My French flag was made in the USA -- it actually has a small US flag image samped on the header. Does this mean that I'm disrespecting France when I fly it?

Buying U.S.A. made goods is very important to me and this is not limited to flags.

Fair enough, but easier said than done in this era of international economy.

Peter Ansoff

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

Peter, I am afraid you are are correct, that genie was let out of the bottle.

9. J.A.F.E.

J.A.F.E. New Member

This is going to be a hard line to walk and not cross the border into politics but I'll be as careful as I can and really make a sincere attempt.

In principle you are correct it should not matter - the flag of the United States is the flag of the United States. So long as it meets the generally accepted proportions, colors and elements in the expected locations. But origin is important too for reasons that are as symbolic as the different elements and colors, if not as tangible.

To be perfectly honest I never gave it any thought until the made in China flags started showing up. I do not believe China is an ally and I do not believe they are a partner in any positive sense. It is those flags I was specifically addressing.

I simply feel it inappropriate to import our flag from foreign makers. Visit Arlington Cemetery (or any military cemetery). In Arlington there are markers as far as the eye can see (even if many conform to the terrain and not in the neat rows customary to a military cemetery). The majority of those markers locate men and women who fought in one battle or another to defend the flag and a high percentage of them died in the process. How would you explain to one of them their sacrifice wasn't worth buying a flag made here? Or important enough to warrant a casket flag made here?

As Unites States citizens and residents we should support each other. Our labor should go into making our flag, not the labor of the lowest bidder.

Not being French or of French ancestry I have no idea how the average French citizen would regard the question. I can turn the question around a bit and say if someone in France flew the United States flag on July 4, December 7, September 11 or some other important date in our history I would take it as a sign of respect. I would not question the origin of that flag since it is flying on foreign soil although I suppose if someone made the effort to find one made here to fly on that occasion it would add meaning to the gesture. In that context I don't feel it is disrespecting the French flag to honor Bastille Day with a US made flag.

All the more reason why it is important to me.

I believe the more economic and trade ties countries have the less likely armed conflicts are to arise between them. So in an ideal world the concept of COO would have no meaning. But we don't live in that world yet.

10. Adam Cappps

Adam Cappps New Member

There are plenty of directories on the internet that display websites and companies that sell american made products. South Star Supply - Home is one that I use all the time.

Adam

11. Capt.Sheffield

Capt.Sheffield New Member

I have noted that while Annin, Valley Forge, and others sell American-made flags, the poles and hardware are imported.
    Does any one know who sells the whole deal American-made?

12. Robin Hickman

Hello, Captain Sheffield!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

I don't know if a "Made In The USA" house flagpole and/or house flagpole bracket even exists.

I have four or five different types of house flagpole brackets that are either Annin or Valley Forge and they are all imported from China. If there are any that are "Made In The USA", they are probably products of small "family-owned" companies. ALL U.S. Flag Manufacturers are MORE than aware of the true "power" of Flags, especially American Flags, that are "Made In The USA", and that Americans are more than willing to pay extra for them. You would think that the U.S.-based manufacturers would want to also use American-made poles and brackets too.

I have run across several different kinds of "house" flagpoles and they were/are "made in China". When I say "house" flagpoles, I'm talking about the 5-7 foot variety that are inserted into brackets that are mounted on the side of a house or porch.

There are "telescoping" flagpoles 16' to 25' in height, and I believe that some of them might be "Made In The USA". I know that Uncommon USA makes at least some of their telescoping flagpoles in the USA ( Telescoping Flagpoles, Flagpoles & Flags By Uncommon USA ). I don't know about where the other telescoping flagpole manufacturers such as TelePole ( Telepole Telescoping Flagpoles & Flags ), or SunSetter ( SunSetter Flagpole Products ), or American Engineered Products ( American Engineered Products - Telescoping Flagpoles and Slotbases ), etc.

You might try "Googling" for "Flagpole Manufacturers" or "Flagpoles Makers". If you want want to make sure that you have some kind of "Made In The USA" flagpole, you might consider going down to your local lumber supply store and getting a section of 1" full round moulding (AKA "closet rod"). Alternatively, you might consider getting a 5' or 6' broom/mop/rake handle that is marked "Made In The USA".

Sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance!

Thank you for bringing you Flag-related question to our forum! Let us know how things turn out, OK?

GO DUCKS !!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.