Mare Island 1919 -- Can anyone ID?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Aerowallah, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Aerowallah

Aerowallah New Member

A friend gave me these to research for him. He bought them in SF in the 1960s.

All three say: "All Flags" or "All Pents No. 6 Mare Island 1919".

They measure about 35 x 55. The pennant 21 x 64.

Are they signal flags? Do we know what signals?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Aerowallah!

Wow, this is really a strange one. Each of the two rectangular ones is an ICS signal flag with half of a second signal flag sewn onto the fly. The flags are:

Blue with white diagonal cross: "M"
    Red/yellow/red bicolor: Probably an "R" (red flag with a white orthogonal cross)
    White with red diagonal cross: "V"
    Yellow/blue/yellow bicolor: "D"

Alphabet flags are typically square or nearly square, so it looks like the "R" and the "D" were basically cut in half and sewn to the other two.

The pennant is hard to figure. Unlike the other two, it looks like it was originally made that way, but it doesn't match anything I'm familiar with. A blue/yellow pennant is a numeral "5", and both numeral "3" and the first substitute pennant have red hoists, but the widths would not match up like that.

I don't have any idea why any one would do this to a set of Navy signal flags. Maybe other members will have some ideas.

3. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I maybe wrong but some where in the deepest recess of my mind I have come across this pennant and seem to connect this pennant with the signals of either the Soviet Navy or Imperial Russian Navy.

UJ