Memorial Day and after

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Rauanheimo, May 24, 2009.

1. Rauanheimo

Rauanheimo New Member

Does anyone have a clear explanation as to how long the cemetery flags should be displayed before their removal? I appreciate an official source rather than opinion.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Rauanheimo !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : Does anyone have a clear explanation as to how long the cemetery flags should be displayed before their removal? I appreciate an official source rather than opinion.

In regards to your question, my opinion is that the most "official source" I can think of would probably be located at the Arlington National Cemetery.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/

I believe the display of the cemetery flags that you speak of, is referred to as "Flags In" at the Arlington National Cemetery.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/ceremonies/flagsin.html

If you can't find the answer somewhere on their pages, perhaps you might be able to ask them how long the gravesite Flags should be displayed?

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/contact_us.html

I apologize that all I had to offer you was my opinion instead of a clear explantion. I wish you all the best of luck in getting an answer for your question.

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Ray -- welcome to the forum!

Does anyone have a clear explanation as to how long the cemetery flags should be displayed before their removal? I appreciate an official source rather than opinion.

This issue is covered in US Army PAM 290-5, "Administration, Operation and Maintenance of Army Cemeteries." Para 2-7g says:

"Except as provided herein, U.S. flags will be removed from the graves on the first workday after Memorial Day . . . If the flags are wet, they may be allowed to remain on the graves until dry."​

The specifications for the flags themselves are in AR 840-10 para 2-3(9): 7 inch hoist by 11 inch fly, cotton muslin.​

Best regards,​

Peter Ansoff​

4. Rauanheimo

Rauanheimo New Member

Thanks Peter.
    Looking this over, it only applies to Army cemeteries, including Arlington and those on Army posts. I'm hoping for something that relates to National Cemeteries and also anything which might be applied or suggested to all cemeteries.
    The single weekend period seems very brief and also would be hard to comply with. I'm thinking of all the volunteers who place the flags.
    My interest is to preserve the dignity of the flags rather than to let them deteriorate as is currently the situation.
    RayR

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings (again) Ray,

Looking this over, it only applies to Army cemeteries, including Arlington and those on Army posts.

True. However, military regulations are often useful guidelines for activities that are not, strictly speaking, under military jurisdiction. Examples that we've dicussed here in the forum include etiquette for color guards and orientation of flag patches on uniforms.

I'm hoping for something that relates to National Cemeteries and also anything which might be applied or suggested to all cemeteries. The single weekend period seems very brief and also would be hard to comply with. I'm thinking of all the volunteers who place the flags. My interest is to preserve the dignity of the flags rather than to let them deteriorate as is currently the situation.

Good point. I don't have a copy handy, but I believe that the NPS regulations for National Cemeteries administered by the Park Service say that the flag shall be removed "as soon as possible" after Memorial Day. That criterion sounds like a reasonable compromise between the availability of volunteers and the need to treat the flags with respect. The Army's stipulation concerning wet flags is worth consideration also.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff