Memorial Day Half-Staffing Procedure HISTORY?

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Robin Hickman, May 28, 2011.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

GREETINGS !!! :D

Does anyone know the "history" behind the Memorial Day half-staffing procedure. In other words, WHY is the U.S. Flag at half-staff until NOON and then raised to FULL staff on Memorial Day? :confused: :confused:

I've got a TV News crew coming over to my house for an interview at 1:00 PM, and I can't for the life of me remember WHY it's in the Flag Code that way!!!

THANK YOU !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

2. Robin Hickman

I'm NOT sure... BUT... I think that since Memorial Day was originally the post Civil War's "Decoration Day", that the "tradition" of half-staffing the Flag until noon and then raising it to full staff for the rest of the day was to honor "The Fallen" with the half-staff position until Noon, and then to raise it back up to the full-staff position to show that "The Union" (our Nation) still lives. Then that "tradition" got included in the U.S. Flag Code.

Am I close ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

4. Robin Hickman

Well, the KVAL-TV news crew left about 15 minutes ago. And I must say, that in all the interviews I've given over the years THAT one was NOT one of the best ones! :(

I gave them the Memorial Day half-staffing information as well as I could remember it.

My question here is still the same as it was earlier: Did I get it "right" ???

I really was NOT at my best today and I'm really sorry if I've let anybody down! :eek:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Don't worry about it, Robin. From my experience with news folks, they would probably get it all mixed up anyway!

Peter A.

6. Robin Hickman

Well, I did the interview but, in my opinion, I don't think I was particualrly effective in giving them enough "good stuff" for them to use. BTW: They didn't use any of the Memorial Day half-staff info I gave them. The story aired last night (Saturday, 5/28/11) at 6:00 & 11:00 PM. :eek:

A couple of people who've seen the story thought I did great but I've done enough "GREAT!" interviews over the years to know this one was NOT one of them! And in the story's on-line page the "photo gallery" has the WORST picture of me EVER!!! :(

http://www.kval.com/news/local/122781549.html?

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG !!! :eek:

Y'all have a safe & sane Memorial Day weekend, y'hear ???

BTW : KVAL-TV also has a section for viewer-submitted photos and videos called "YouNews". Here's a link to a video & pictures that I submitted for Armed Forces Day (Saturday, May 21st, 2011). KVAL used a short snippet of my YouNews video in their Memorial Day story (Which kind of started this whole thread). I've had trouble uploading the video and getting it to play, I don't know if they've "fixed" it yet, so be patient. Hmmmm.....

http://www.kval.com/younews/122772164.html

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA