memorial day

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Carol, May 27, 2007.

1. Carol

Carol Guest

Hi all, I am new here. Great site though.

I am a volunteer fire fighter. We were having a small debate about proper etiquet at the Memorial day services on Monday. It was over how we should salute the flag with head gear on. Do the same rules apply to firefighters in uniform as does military? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help clear this up!

2. b0bbye

b0bbye Guest

Don't know for sure, but when in doubt, err on the side of highest respect to the sovereignty of the flag. I would take hats off and then salute, but I imagine the military rules would protect you from any backlash if you decided to leave hats on for the salute.

Does anyone know when hanging the flag in a vertical position, do the stars go on upper left or upper right? Please get back pronto as I'm hanging my flag banners right now...thanks and happy Memorial Day as we remember our troops.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Bobbye and Carol!

Do the same rules apply to firefighters in uniform as does military? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help clear this up!

For what it's worth, the section of the USC that deals with saluting during the national anthem (USC 36), says that "all present except those in uniform" should render the civilian version of the salute, while "individuals in uniform should give the military salute." I'd say it's up to your firefighting unit's regulations as to which procedure you want to follow.

when hanging the flag in a vertical position, do the stars go on upper left or upper right?

If the flag is hanging against a wall, the union goes on the flag's right, which is the left as seen by a viewer. If it's hanging in the middle of an open space, so that both sides of the flag are visible, the union should face north or east.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

4. b0bbye

b0bbye Guest

Thanks Peter so much for your expertise and help. I found your similar reply in the postings just after I had replied to Carol asking her about the correct vertical position of the flag. Thank you so much for your quick reply and have a blessed Memorial Day. :)

5. habu5150

habu5150 Guest

In the military we keep our hats on at all times outside and render a salute.

a

6. RebeccaFord

RebeccaFord Guest

Hello, hope I can get some help on this one. At our Memorial day parade we have about 40 students from our local high school carry a 60 by 30 foot american flag through the parade. This flag is carried in a horitontal posititon but in a dignafied manner. The students are very respectful but we want to make sure we are not being disrespectful.
    Thank you,
    Rebecca

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Rebecca,

At our Memorial day parade we have about 40 students from our local high school carry a 60 by 30 foot american flag through the parade. This flag is carried in a horitontal posititon but in a dignafied manner. The students are very respectful but we want to make sure we are not being disrespectful.

I'm not exactly sure what your question is. If the students are being respectful, then, well, they are -- there's no magic defintion of "respectful!"

There is one issue that you might want to think about. Section 8 of the flag code, "Respect for the Flag," does say in paragraph c: "The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free." This particular part of the code is frequently ignored, however, and as long as it's done with care I don't think most people would have a problem with it.

To be consistent with the flag code and other common usage, I'd say that the union of the flag should face forward (in the direction of march), and if possible should face toward the north or east side of the street. This depends, of course, on the layout of the parade route.

Peter Ansoff