Military Aircraft

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by falconeer, Aug 20, 2008.

1. falconeer

falconeer New Member

Hi. found your website when i searching about flags and one of presidential candidates.

i have a question about the flag, and military aircraft.

why is the flag flown on some of the tails of airplanes, like the C-130,C-5, and other branches, and not on others. i work on a military base, and notice that some planes arrive, and they have the flag proudly on the tail, where as others do not. it is more of the cargo variety that have it flown, and some of the general/dignatary type of aircraft. thanks. :)

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

why is the flag flown on some of the tails of airplanes, like the C-130,C-5, and other branches, and not on others

Interesting question! There's a general Air Force regulation that covers how the flag is to be displayed on aircraft, but it doesn't address specific types. Just from looking at photos, I'd say that you are right -- the custom seems to be that it's displayed on the tails of support and logistics airplanes (transports, tankers, etc.) but not on fighters, bombers, or UAVs.

I'd assume that the AF has some standards for the markings to be displayed on specific aircraft types. Here's a good topic for some research!

Peter Ansoff

3. Sparkchaser

Sparkchaser New Member

Yes the flag will be displayed on an aircraft with the stars to the nose and the strips to the tail. Just as the way wind will blow the flag. Remember the flag has two sides, and as long as the stars are in the correct place, it is correct.