Motorcycle flag etiquette

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by stuart leach, Apr 14, 2012.

1. stuart leach

stuart leach New Member

:confused: Hi,this is my first post.I live in Scotland and ride a Harley Davidson,and proudly fly a U.S.A. flag on the front and rear of the bike.The flags are 6" x 9" and i also fly a State flag of the same size.My question is this--i understand that when sitting on the bike the U.S.A.flag should be on the right hand side (the throttle side)-and that is where they are--BUT-when in this position the flag is back to front for people seeing the bike-ie.the "Stars are on the right of the flag and not where they should be -on the left.I have checked all the manufacturers i can find and they all make them the same.When i look down at the flag it is correct-but surely it should look correct to someone looking at the bike as i pass!!!!!.In order to get this i would have to fly the flag on the left of the bike-but do not wish to be disrespectful.Can anyone clarify this for me please.
    Really looking forward to being part of this forum
    Thanks
    Stuart (Modo-don"t ask)

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome, Stuart!

As you'll see in some of the other posts here, there is a lot of confusion about this "stars on the left" business. The flag code states that the union should be on the viewer's left when the flag is displayed statically against a wall, so that only one side is visible. When it is displayed on a vehicle or aircraft, the convention is that the union faces forward, in the normal direction of travel. This is not explcitly stated in the flag code; however, it is in US military regulations. This is true for both real cloth flags (like yours), and flags that are painted or decaled on the side of the vehicle. You'll see this, for example, on US-registered airliners -- they normally have a small US flag next to the registration number on the aft fuselage.

There's a related discussion about flag patches displayed on uniform sleeves. The flag code does not address the direction in which the union is supposed to face. The US Army displays patches on the right sleeve, and specifies that the union will be on the viewer's right, as it would be if it were a real flag flying in the wind as the soldier walked forward. The other armed forces, and NASA, display the patches on their left sleeves, which avoids the problem. There is no uniform standard for non-military organizations (scout troops, sports teams, police, etc.) -- each one can make its own rules.

Peter Ansoff

3. stuart leach

stuart leach New Member

Thanks Peter,at least i can fly "the" flag knowing i am not being disrespectful.Tho i am an Englishman,living in Scotland-i am in my heart an American--or wish i was.My love asffair with the U.S.A. its people and what it stands for goes back a long,long time,and i envy you living in the Greatest country on earth.Hope to speak again soon.
    Stuart (Modo0