multiple flags - hanging from ceiling - against the wall - what order?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by WearyTraveler, Aug 15, 2012.

1. WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler New Member

I am planning to hang several flags from the ceiling at my workplace.

I’d really like to get this correct – and the online documentation doesn’t cover all the above…

They will be hanging vertically, against the wall, from the ceiling.

Our desks will be against the wall, facing the flags. Basically, when we look up from our desks, we’ll be facing the flags.

We have several flags, to include:
    • (U) US
    • (V) Virginia State flag
    • (F) Florida State flag (tentative – but asking just in case we actually add another state flag other than Virginia)
    • (M1) Marine Corps (we have 3 of them)
    • (M2) Marine Corps
    • (M3) Marine Corps
    • (G) Gadsden Flag “Don’t Tread on Meâ€
    • (C) Molon Labe (tentative)
    • (O1) Organizational (work / company)
    • (O2) Organizational (work / company)
    • (S) Springfield Armory Banner
    • (X) Others as we determine – but likely not state or national

With this combination, how would I correctly hang them against the wall, from left to right?

They're all the same height. So I'm reading that the US flag should be centered. Or am I all fouled up?

Would this be appropriate, from left to right:?

X1 S M1 C M2 M3 U V F G O1 O2

Thank you in advance!

2. APS221

APS221 Member

The U.S. Flag should always be on the viewer's left (the flag's own right). The U.S. Flag would be in the center only if it is higher than the other flags. Don't forget that the canton should be on the viewer's left as well. Next, would be the state where you are located (I assume that's Virginia) followed by other state flags. The customary order of precedence is date the state entered the union. Next, is military services/armed forces. After that, it gets less clear. Some might say organizational, some might say Gadsden since it is a historical military flag once used by the Continental Marines. Then, it's pretty much up to you.

If I were setting them up they would go:

U V F M1 M2 M3 then either G O1 O2 or O1 O2

Without any additional information, that's what I recommend.

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Does size matter?

I would like to hear what Forum members have to say about a recommendation I made to the owner of a riding arena regarding the display of three flags, US, State, and County. The photo of the three flags is below. The US flag measures 4x6 feet, while the state and county flags are each 3x5 feet. They are suspended from the lower cord of a roof truss, and each flag's heading is at the same height. The Flag Code says that the US flag should be placed higher than the rest, or if at the same height, then to the observer's left. However, I believe that since the US flag was the largest, it should go in the middle with the two smaller flags flanking it. As the US flag is the largest in this display, it appears to be in the position of honor.

Barn.jpg

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I agree with the placement of the noticeably larger U.S. Flag in the middle. IF..... you'd like to "hedge your bet" by about an inch, get four small carabiners to put through the grommets of the outside Flags so that they hang about an inch lower than the larger U.S. Flag in the center.

Looking Good!!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I agree -- this looks good. I frequently do this on US holidays, when I put my large GSPEC flag on the middle pole, and the appropriate smaller flags on each side. It looks lopsided any other way.

Peter Ansoff

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Robin and Peter,
    Thank you for your support. The owner of the arena obtained the Howard County, Maryland, flag from the County Executive after they "switched jobs." The County Exec had to run the farm for a day, and the arena owner was acting County Executive. I had already given the owner the 4x6 US flag. When he decided to display those two flags he asked me where to get a Maryland State flag. After giving him names of two well known and reputable flag retailers in the greater Baltimore area, it occurred to me that I had a spare Maryland flag of Perma Nyl by Valley Forge Flag Company I obtained as part of a lot of overstock flags. I haven't heard of any adverse reaction from the horses and / or riders who train in that arena, but one reason for displaying the flags is to get the horses used to things out of the ordinary so that they do not "shy" when they see a flag at a competition. As my wife will attest, there are only two things that frighten horses: Things that move, and things that don't move.
    Nick
    Columbia Maryland

7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

.....AND..... Things that aren't even THERE !!!

8. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Yep. Those are the MOST frightening.

Nick

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Since we are off on a tangent horse theme, here's something to bring us back to flags:

Philadelphia Light Horse Flag:
    Redirect Notice

Flag of Hanover:
    Redirect Notice