Multiple flags

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by dustin10988, May 6, 2015.

1. dustin10988

dustin10988 New Member

Hi, I have multiple country flags hanging vertically on my wall. I do not know where to put my USA flag though. I've read that in groups it should show no favoritism to other country's, but was unsure. Thanks for your time

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Dustin10988, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

If your multiple country Flags are hung vertically in a single row across your wall, then, hopefully, the answer should be a simple one.

At the far left end of the row, you would start with the United States Flag, because the U.S. "Flag Code" states that the U.S. Flag should be to its own farthest RIGHT (observers' left - meaning you) and all other Flags to the U.S. Flag's left (observers' right - meaning you). The rest of your multiple country Flags should then be hung vertically from left-to-right (as you, the observer, sees them) in alphabetical order.

NOTE : Some countries, including the U.S., have "rules" as to the way their nation's Flag should be hung vertically. Others don't: you just turn them 1/4 turn clockwise and attach them to the wall. For the U.S. Flag, the blue canton with the 50 white 5-pointed Stars (AKA: The Union) should always be displayed with the Union (Canton) to the Flag's own upper right (observers' upper left) corner. When the U.S. Flag is hung horizontally, (which is how we normally see images of our Flag), you would just hold the Flag horizontally, front-side out, and hang it for display. To hang the U.S. Flag vertically, you first need to reverse the Flag so that the front side is against the wall and the reverse side is showing. Then turn the flag so that the Canton (Union) is showing in the upper left hand corner. Please refer to picture below. Two other Country's Flags that come to mind that need to be hung in the same manner are Australia and New Zealand. Oh, and the Flag of Canada, too, so that the top of its red maple leaf points to the observers' left.

For further reading and information, you can find a copy of the U.S. "Flag Code" on the following webpage :
    http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Hanging the U.S. flag vertically is addressed in the following section : United States Code, Title 4, Chapter 1 - "The Flag" (ie. the "Flag Code"), Section 7 "Position and Manner of Display", Sub-section (i)

FlagP1sm.jpg

I hope this helps to clear things up for you!

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum!!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.