Multiple questions needing help with

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by billrlogan, Jun 1, 2010.

1. billrlogan

billrlogan New Member

I have this posted elsewhere but wanted to post it here since there is multiple questions that I could use some answers to. Please help me out here if possible.
    I have started building this already and I am about to start working on it again. I have a bunch of 10 foot pieces of 4 inch, 3 inch and 2 inch schedule 40 PVC laying around here and plan on using it.
    What I have done so far is that I have sunk a 10 foot piece of 4 inch S40 into a concrete base that is 3 foot by 3 foot wide by 4 foot deep. I have 4 foot of the 10 foot piece centered in the concrete. That is leaving me with 6 foot sticking up out of the ground/concrete.
    I am planning on pounding 10 foot pieces of 4 inch, 3 inch and 2 inch PVC down inside of each other while staggering each piece a few feet apart so to make it strong and then bolting it all together. I know I am going to have to cut a small section out of the side of some of the pieces in order for them to fit inside of each other. When finished I should end up with a 25 foot pole that is the thickness of a 4, 3 and 2 inch combined piece of PVC.
    Does anybody think this will work???? And if so, what size flag should I fly from it?
    Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Please help me out here with your input, PRO or CON :)
    Thanks again, Bill in Texas.............

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Bill,
    I have only used 2" OD PVC, 8 feet long, to fly a 3x5 polyester flag and I find that it is much too flexible. Your plan to stiffen the tubes by inserting them one into the other may address this problem, but I would still be wary when topping out at 25 feet. If you go ahead with this plan, begin flying a small, lightweight flag like an inexpensive 2x3 pr 3x5 polyester flag, then observe the pole's behavior in high winds before you hoist a 4x6 nylon sewn stars and stripes.
    Nick

3. billrlogan

billrlogan New Member

Thanks Nick for the input. How high was your 2 inch. I appreciate your time and I am still hoping everyone else will comment on this too. Thanks again, Bill....

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I just used the 8-foot length of PVC to support a 3x5 poly flag. I drove a steel rod into the ground with about 2 ft exposed, then slipped the pole over it. Worked ok with a minimal breeze but the PVC did flex noticeably.
    Nick

5. billrlogan

billrlogan New Member

Thanks again Nick...........