Multiple US Flags

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by kthompson1004, May 21, 2011.

1. kthompson1004

kthompson1004 New Member

I have recently noticed the President speaking at press conferences with numerous American flags placed side by side behind him. I thought this was not appropriate - that our flag is supposed to be displayed by itself, not as "decoration" or a "back drop" for a speaker. Does anyone know the rules on this?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Re: Flag Display

The United States Flag Code is silent on the matter of multiple US flags in a display. However, during World War II it seems that the use of dozens of flags in parades became common and some thought the display of patriotism was getting out of hand. Some actually quesioned "Do I have to stand and salute each flag?" Some groups offered the guidance that such displays flags was, indeed, inappropriate and that one US flag carried at the head of the band / squad / team etc., was preferable.

As far as I see the President's backdrop of flags, it is quite acceptable as "patriotic" to Democrats, but it is "disrespectful" from the Republican point of view.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Re: Flag Display

it is quite acceptable as "patriotic" to Democrats, but it is "disrespectful" from the Republican point of view.

Well, maybe not:

Bush Flags 1.jpg

Seriously: There is no rule that I know of dealing with display of multiple US flags, and I can't imagine why anyone would get excited about them. Personally, I find them attractive and inspiring.

Peter Ansoff