Music w/flag entrance @ gathering

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by JCarlson, Jul 1, 2009.

1. JCarlson

JCarlson New Member

Is there any rules about entering a room w/ flag & playing say God Bless America? Some have told me that there should be silence as flag enters until it is stopped or placed in a stanchion.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, JCarlson ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "Is there any rules about entering a room w/ flag & playing say God Bless America? Some have told me that there should be silence as flag enters until it is stopped or placed in a stanchion."

At this time, I know of NO rules expressly forbidding the playing of a song, such as "God Bless America" (or any other), when entering a room carrying a Flag.

However, there ARE some "rules" regarding the "passing" or "presenting" the Colors (National Flag). Those rules are part of the United States "Flag Code", which is part of the U.S. Code. Check out Sections #8 & #9 of the Flag Code, but feel free to read ALL of it!

A copy of the "Flag Code" can be found HERE : http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Having said ALL that, I'd like to add that it is always a good idea to treat the American Flag with the utmost honor & respect while you're doing "anything" with it. Using a healthy dose of "common sense" helps a LOT, too !

Have a GREAT Independence Day weekend !!! :D

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin