"My Own America"?

Discussion in 'Other US Patriotic Songs' started by seco@orthodoxpress.org, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Hello,

Way back then, in junior high school, we learned a song which I have not been able to find on-line anywhere (so far). Here are some of the lyrics as I remember them:

I climbed a mountain high, before me spread America
    From shining sea to shining sea.
    From sun-kissed mountain tops, to shining plains below
    more to the verse..

Refrain
    My own America, beloved land of liberty
    Here in my heart will always be
    A song of love for thee

If this strikes a chord with anyone, I'd love to have the rest of the words.

2. babyanijo@aol.com

babyanijo@aol.com New Member

I, too, in my youth learned this song. Hoever, as uou, I can only spot a few lines:
    "Where freedom is the password,
    Where justice is for all,
    Where men would rather die than see Old Glory fall!"

That's the bridge...Next (LOL)!!!

3. babyanijo@aol.com

babyanijo@aol.com New Member

It strikes a chord with me...all I can remember is the bridge:

Where freedom is the password,
    Where justice is for all,
    Where men would rather die than see Old Glory fall!

4. sawhet owl

sawhet owl New Member

Here are the words to My Own America. In return, I would like to know if anybody knows the composer and/or lyricist.I too remember it from my younger day, high school chorus.
    I climbed a mountain high, before me spread America, from north and south to east and west.
    There on that mountain high, while dreaming of America, a song was born within my breast.
    My own America, beloved land of liberty, and in my heart there'll always be a song of love for you.
    From sun kissed mountain tops, I see the sunlit plains below; I watch the mighty rivers flow through my America:
    Where freedom is the watchword, where justice is for all, where men would rather die, than let Old Glory fall.
    My Own America, may G-d preserve thy destiny and help to save democracy the whole world through.

I always thought I would like this as our national anthem where there is no homage to war. Ours and too many other national anthems seem to glorify war. I do not like it.
    ;

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello !

Usually, in a case like this, I always give the same advice : "When In Doubt, GOOGLE It Out".

So that's what I did: I Googled it out.

In quotation marks, I used the first line of the lyrics as the search term. Like this : "I climbed a mountain high, before me spread America".

There were only TWO pages listed. THIS page that we're on right now and THIS page :

https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/26210?show=full

Apparently it was an Award-winning song during a World War II song-writing contest. Also, it looks like they have a copy of the original sheet music somewhere around there.

Here's what it says :

My Own America. Prize-Winning Song, National Song Contest, Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies.

There is another URL link on the page :

http://jhir.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/26210

Sorry. That's about it.

"Save Me, Obi-Wan Google! You're My Only Hope!!!"

Robin

6. Robin Hickman

7. Robin Hickman

8. fast1

fast1 Member

huh?? anyway i think amazon is safer than ebay IMO[​IMG]

9. jkelly

jkelly New Member

This song is also dear to me, as in El Centro Calif. in 5th grade I had a wonderful (and pretty) teacher, Mrs. Russel, who had a musical talent, would lead us in singing for hours--and "My Own America" was rhe centerpiece. It was wonderful. I have been searching hard for the lyrics. Thanks for the question! Thanks for the lyrics post! Now, next question: Anyone know where to get an mp3 , record, or any audio recording?

Best wishes to all you patriots.

John

10. jkelly

jkelly New Member

i just found that this was written in 1941 by allie wrubel, a member of the songwriter's hall of fame. lyrics are read on this recording with piano melody playing in background on this site: www.songwritershalloffame/allierubel/exhibits/C97.
    what a find! this is beautiful! john

11. Robin Hickman

Hi, John ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!! :D

Since you're the one who's interested in the song, might I suggest trying your skill with Google ("When In Doubt, GOOGLE It Out"), or perhaps eBay, or maybe even LOC.Gov (Library of Congress) ???

Good Luck !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

12. sgt

sgt New Member

Yes...exactly as I remember the song. So uplifting.

13. kathleen_ia

kathleen_ia New Member

I have a copy of the music. It's "where freedom is the watchword".