Mysterious attachment to my new US flag -HELP?!?!?!!)

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by american_flag_uk, Sep 11, 2007.

1. i got a new US flag today (yeah i know... ANOTHER one... my 61st i belive!!)

it is printed on woven polyester and is made in Scotland UK by david martin stenhouse flag company.
    its my 1st US flag i have thats been made in the UK and it has the UK traditional attachments (rope and toggle) on the hoist side.

what is myterious to me about it is at the fly end there is an extras piece of material sewn there... like a piece of elasticated netting... its about 3 inches wide and the fly end is not reinforced the american way.. jus a regular hem like the top ad bottom edges...

im wondering if the strange netting is some sort of reinforcement to defend agaisnt fraying or damage to the fly end ?- but i cant find any information about it and would like to know where this could have origionated from.. i can get pictures of it when i go home

any insight on this is welcome..also pictures of other flags with this same type of thing?

2. peter are u able to help me with this one?? fraid i cant get pics till my own net works where i can pull the pics off of my camera... im using brothers PC now he has no camera software or stuff like that!

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

peter are u able to help me with this one??

No, that's a new one on me! Your theory about the netting being there to prevent fraying makes sense, but I've never run across anything like that before.

I think that David Martin Stenhouse is associated with James Stevenson Flags Ltd. in Scotland James Stevenson (Flags) Ltd., Scottish and UK Flagmakers. World, country, provincial, UK, European and Queen's Award flags, Printed and Sewn, Banners, aluminum & fibreglass flagpoles.). You might try sending them an email or giving them a call.

Peter A.

4. cool thanks!! i emailed them and ill let you know the outcome of that and psot the pic of the flag and its weird attachment as soon as i have intiernet at home again!

5. paultreacy

paultreacy New Member

Looking forward to hearing what they have to say. Strange one that.
    Photohumorist

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, American_Flag_UK !

Was this particular Flag "mystery" EVER solved ???

Robin "Inquiring Minds Want To Know" Hickman

7. Hey there Robin - Yes it was!

I have since seen the webbing on other flags here in the UK sewn to the fly end of flags.
    I still have that flag and i never did take a picture of it - I completely forgot!

8. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

QUOTE (American_Flag_UK) : Hey there Robin - Yes it was! I have since seen the webbing on other flags here in the UK sewn to the fly end of flags. I still have that flag and i never did take a picture of it - I completely forgot! :eek:

Well..... ? :confused:

Robin "It's A Mystery To Me!" Hickman :cool: