national anthem

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by lpeagle, Jan 31, 2007.

1. lpeagle

lpeagle Guest

What is the proper etiquete during and after the playing of the national anthem?? Do you stand with your hand over your heart like the pledge and is it proper to clap???

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

From the web site of the Star Spangled Banner Flag House in Baltimore we find : "When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music." Applause for the artist(s) singing the anthem is, of course, appropriate.

3. Musicman

Musicman Guest

Is it appropriate to play "national anthem" as flag enters room as in a Church worship setting.

4. RCM

RCM Guest

My choir instructor, from my school days in the mid 1990's taught us not clap/applaud the National Anthem.
    I recently was asked why I dont applaud with everyone else and I started questioning if I heard my choir instructor correctly.

I could only locate this article:
    When it is played at a public assembly you should join in singing the National Anthem along with principal singer or orchestra whose function is to lead, not entertain, the assembly. For this reason it is inappropriate to applaud the singing of the National Anthem. It is also inappropriate to make or use sophisticated "concert" versions of the National Anthem.
    POST-GAZETTE - Res Publica
    "Sing, Sing, Sing the National Anthem "
    by David Trumbull
    May 5, 2006