National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day Flag Status

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by FlagAdvocate, Jul 29, 2017.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Every July 27th of each year I see the US flag being flown at half-staff somewhere, either in my home town, in the news, or on social media by well meaning patriots. It is my understanding that National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day was a day of half-staff observance until the law authorizing it expired in 2003. Upon its re-enactment in 2009, it became a day of full-staff observance. Is that correct? What is your understanding Forum members?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

As far as I know, the observance was never officially re-enacted by Congress. For the last few years, the President has issued a proclamation that doesn't specifically mention the flag. This year's proclamation, for example, just says "I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities that honor and give thanks to our distinguished Korean War veterans." I may have missed something, of course . . .

For what it's worth, I've always taken the position that individuals can half-staff the flag on any occasion that they consider appropriate, even if it is not officially sanctioned. For example, I do so on April 10 for the sinking of the USS Thresher, along with the US Navy flag and the ship's hull number (593).

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Peter, you are correct. The August 12, 1998 Act which established the National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day as a half-staff observance until 2003 was not re-enacted in 2009. What Congress did enact on July 27, 2009 is the Korean War Veterans Recognition Act which added the National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27th, to the list of days on which the US flag should be flown (at full-staff) by amending Section 6(d) of Title 4 of the United States Code. See the following sources. The first is that of the August 12, 1998 Act. The second is that of the July 27, 2009 enactment.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/127

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ41/html/PLAW-111publ41.htm

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I had never personally considered the "Korean War Armistice Day" (in whatever name was used to identify it) as a "half-staff" Flag day. Neither have I considered the anniversary days/dates for the ending of hostilities for any other armed conflict that the USA was involved in, such as the Revolutionary War, The Mexican War, The Civil War, The "Indian" Wars, The Spanish-American War, The Great War (World War I), World War II, the Vietnam War, Et Cetera.

I believe the reason behind the "2003" date was that it marked the 50th year/anniversary of the Korean War armistice. Believe it or now, I have TWO (2) different Flags that commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Korean War Armistice!!!

Robin Hickman