Need help dating a 13 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by newportebaysolutions, Aug 17, 2011.

1. I have a 13 star flag that I am trying to determine the approx date of production. It is Approx 46" long and approx 29" high. The Blue field for the stars is approx 18" x 16". There are 13 stars configured in the 3 2 3 2 3
    pattern. The stars are sewn with zig zag stitching, and are applied? to both sides of the flag.
    There are 2 metal grommets at the corners.
    It is marked ? [​IMG]US Standard 2 1/4 x 4 ? (hard to see, that is my best guess at the markings)

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Your flag was very likely made around 1900 to early 1920's. Zig zag stitching was first used on flags in the 1890's, but by the 1926 / 1932 time frame the "Betsy Ross Pattern" of 13 stars in a circle was more common. "US Standard" refers to the grade of wool bunting used for the canton and stripes.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The first post in this thread requested info on the age of a 13-star flag. I provided some basic info on that flag, as I saw it. That info now appears in an eBay auction listing:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Seems to be doing quite well, for at $647 it is getting bids two to three times what early 20th C 13-star flags generally sell for.

But this is a case where information that this Forum provided is being used commercially. Do we have any problem with that? Personally I don't mind, but it would have been nice if the seller had stated up front that they were asked to auction an item and wanted to make sure they had it identified correctly.

Nick A

4. I do not mean to offend. I simply wanted to make sure that I had correctly described the flag that I had been consigned to sell. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I did use my NewportEbaySolutions name to be transparent about my identity.
    Margaret

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

But this is a case where information that this Forum provided is being used commercially. Do we have any problem with that?

Interesting question. I suppose it's possible to imagine a legal situation in which the forum could be held responsible for information that turned out to be incorrect. We have several experienced collectors here -- what do you folks think? Do we need some kind of blanket disclaimer in the "Flag Identification and Collecting" section?

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Margaret lives in Newport, Oregon, but I don't know her. Really, I don't.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Peter, the idea of having some kind of "blanket" disclaimer sounds like it might be a pretty good idea! And maybe not just for "value" estimations.

All of us who have been members here on USA-Flag-Site Forums for any length of time have given all different kinds of advice and/or our best opinions on any variety of flag-related questions.

Likely or not, how exposed to any "liability"would any of us be if something went "wrong" as a result of one of our answers???

Just Wondering . . . . . :confused:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

8. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Peter,
    That is exactly why I raised the issue. I have no problem sharing info on flags with anyone, whether for private or commercial interests, but it might be a good idea to consider the implications of opinions expressed on the forum.
    Nick A