Need Help Identifying a 4x6 Samson Bunting 48 Star Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by bryan planty, Jun 5, 2017.

1. bryan planty

bryan planty New Member

Hi there. My name is Bryan Planty. While cleaning out my finance's grandparents house we came across a 48 star cloth flag with a stamp that says "6281 4x6 Samson Bunting Guaranteed Fast Color" on it. The stars are sewn on and it has what looks to be brass grommets. The only information we can find is that it was made from 1912-1959 and made in Collegeville, PA. All other information we come across is for flags that are 3x5 or smaller. Any information would be great! Thanks!

Trying to upload pictures however they are not loading. I will happily email the pictures to anyone who would like to see them.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi Bryan, welcome to the Forum! Sorry about the problem with uploading your photos. There seems to be a glitch in the forum software at the moment, and our tech folks are trying to figure it out. I'm hoping that we'll have a resolution soon.

Unfortunately, it will probably be difficult to find out too much more about your flag. The sewn stars and brass grommets may help to narrow down the date it was made, but there's really no way to determine its specific history unless the flag has inscriptions or is accompanied by some other kind of documentation. However, we'll get your photos posted as soon as we can, and see what we can do!

Peter Ansoff (Forum Admin)

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Bryan!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-Site forums!

We have a couple of older threads in our Forums where "Samson Bunting" is mentioned. One was from May of this year, and the other was from back in 2010, I think.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/48-star-flag-straight-alignment-identification-help-manufacturers-list-question.11701/#post-37406

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/47-0r-48-star-flag.8786/#post-28377

Although I deal with American Flags quite often, they are newer ones so I am NOT in any way, shape, or form any kind of an "expert" on vintage and/or antique Flags. Usually when a question comes up regarding vintage/antique American Flags, I defer to our members who have MUCH more expertise in that area than I do. Sometimes, and I think this might be one of them, I refer people to a website owned & operated by one of our "expert" members, Jeff Bridgman. While we DO have three or four other members whom I consider to be "experts" when it comes to vintage/antique American Flags, they usually only check in here one every week or two. So sometimes a question might go unanswered for a week or two, or . . .

If you don't get more e-mail notifications from this website about replies to this thread in the next week or so, you might want to get in touch with Jeff Bridgman. You can check out his website and send him an e-mail about your Flag. Tell what you know about your Flag and, yes, details can be important. Good, sharp, in-focus photos of your Flag are VERY important too! Especially, photos showing the finer details of the Flag's construction.

http://jeffbridgman.com/

I wish I had more info to share with you! For right now you can check out the threads I provided links to (above) and/or check out Jeff Bridgman's website!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017