Need help identifying flag.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by dami, Jan 20, 2009.

1. dami

dami New Member

The flag has been flying at the inaugeration. It has three red stars and two horizontal red stripes. Does anyone know what it is for or what it signifies?

Thank you in advance.:confused:

PS. Sorry for posting in the wrong category earlier.:(

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Dami -- welcome to the forum!

The flag has been flying at the inaugeration. It has three red stars and two horizontal red stripes. Does anyone know what it is for or what it signifies?

Yes, indeed. That is the very handsome flag of the District of Columbia. The design is copied from the coat-of-arms of George Washington. It was adopted in 1938.

A few years ago, there was a proposal to add the words "Taxation Without Representation" to the DC flag, to highlight the fact that DC did not have representation in Congress. The proposal to change the flag died, but they did put the slogan on DC automobile license plates.

PS. Sorry for posting in the wrong category earlier

No problem -- we'll delete the other post.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

3. On the subject of flags at the Inauguration Day- I watched the whole thing on TV live as it happened (as I'm sure alot of others did), and I coulden't help noticing the flags they had hung up at the capitol.

There was a large 50 star flag flying from a pole in the center of the building, and below it were hng 5 US flags vertically

on either end was a 13 star 'Betsy ross' flag, the middle one was a 50 star one, and the 2 either side of it had 21 stars..

What is the significance of having 21 star flags hung up there??

I provide a picture of the Capitol facade with the flags hung there
    Inauguration Capitol | NowPublic Photo Archives

The other thing I notice about these flags, is their unusual proportion...
    the star feilds on them are less than a 3rd of the length of the flag in total!

Those flags seem so 'stripey!'

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

What is the significance of having 21 star flags hung up there??

See my post in the "Flag Display" section.

The other thing I notice about these flags, is their unusual proportion...
    the star feilds on them are less than a 3rd of the length of the flag in total!

Excellent point -- the cantons basically look square. Those are definitely not G-Spec flags! Oh well, as I've pointed out before, the EO does not apply to Congress.

Peter Ansoff