Need help identifying this flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Rechell, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Rechell

Rechell New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Rechell, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Short Answer : I don't really know.

Long-ish Answer (all guesswork on my part) : Although your Green & White American Flag is somewhat reminiscent Green Day's (the band) "American Idiot Flag" (10 or 12 years ago?), I think it might actually be some kind of a "Green" political party Flag. Or maybe an "Irish" variation of an American Flag The ones I've seen usually have little green shamrocks in place of the Stars. Although I haven't seen this particular Green & White American Flag before, I recall that the Philadelphia Eagles (NFL Football Team) used a Green & White (Team Colors) American Flag with the Team's "Eagles" logo superimposed over the star-filled canton ("Union").

I'm sorry that I was unable to give you a better answer!

I hope somebody else around here knows who or what your Flag represents!

If you find out elsewhere what the Flag is for, PLEASE let us know here!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Rechell

Rechell New Member

I have uncovered the mystery! It is one of only five produced by the Paramount Flag company commissioned by UC Berkley in 1967 for the Peoples Park Protest. Although there were five made, only two were flown so I do not know whether this was one or not. The whereabouts of the others are as follows: one in the Smithsonian, one in a private collection, one in New York City, mine located in AZ and the fifth; unknown.

Robin Hickman likes this.
  4. Robin Hickman

Hello, Rechell !

Thank You for solving the "mystery" and coming back here to tell us the "solution"!

It makes sense that the Paramount Flag company made those "Peoples Park Protest" Flags, because it was located for decades across The Bay in San Francisco!

THANX, Again!

Robin Hickman

[ BTW : People's Park didn't come into existence until the spring of 1969. ]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  5. Rechell

Rechell New Member

OOPS!!! !(1969)!!!!
    Thank You

6. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I hope the mystery has been solved but not to throw a 'spanner in the works' I thought it might have been an eco protest flag. I say this because a couple of years ago in North Yorkshire I came across an anti fracking protest group and they had a Union Flag with the colour green replacing the red.

UJ

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Fellow NAVA member Jim Ferrigan worked at Paramount back in the day. If I can remember, I'll ask him if he recalls anything about green US flags in the late 60s.

8. Rechell

Rechell New Member

Thank you soo much for your help! That would be great!

9. Robin Hickman

Hi, Peter!

QUOTE : "Fellow NAVA member Jim Ferrigan worked at Paramount back in the day. If I can remember, I'll ask him if he recalls anything about green US flags in the late 60s."

Any new, updated information on the Green & White "American" Flag (made by Paramount Flag) from Jim Ferrigan?

I had a phone message from a "J. M. J." (edited name) saying that he'd seen this thread and that he had an identical Flag to this one. He wanted to know if there was any additional information about the Green & White "American" Flag. I'll be returning his call and talking to him about it but, right now, all I know is what is contained in this thread.

Thanx!

BTW : It looks like the original photo of the Green & White "American" Flag has been "replaced" with a three-flag display of "Texas-related" Flags! I assume it has something to do with the "lost-and-found" photo problems from a few months ago...

Robin

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. Peter Ansoff

My apologies -- I never followed up on this. I'll try to touch base with Jim this evening. I have no idea how that photo of the Texas flags got there -- I've deleted it and replaced it with the original picture. (The Texas flag photo was mine, from some other post!)

11. Peter Ansoff

Update: Jim tells me that Paramount did indeed make this flag in the 1960s, and he provided this link:

https://www.flagcollection.com/itemdetails.php?CollectionItem_ID=2181

to background information about one of them that's in the Zaricor collection (this may be the one in the private collection that Rechell mentioned). This article has some references to FOTW and Wikipedia for further information. It also mentions an article in Flag Bulletin #155. I believe I have a copy of that issue and I'll see if it has any additional info.

Robin Hickman likes this.
  12. Peter Ansoff

All, two additional points:

1. I checked the FB 155 reference, which appears on page 226 of that issue (Nov/Dec 1993). It's the same text that's in quotes on the Zaricor page.

2. The FB article states that the union of this flag was dark green. However, both Rechell's and Zaricor's photos seem to show blue unions. I asked Jim about this, and he was certain that the examples sold in his Flag Store were "dark hunter green" which looks blue in photos. Maybe Rechell and/or Robin's correspondent can verify this.

13. Robin Hickman

Thank You, Peter!

The additional material that you and Jim Ferrigan have provided really "fills-in" some of the informational holes about the Green & White American Flag!

I'll give "J. M. J." (edited name) a call and let him know about the additional info on the Flag. Hopefully, he'll visit here again and check out the info on the Zaricor Flag Center website. After that, who knows?

Thanx, again!

Robin

14. Robin Hickman

I talked with JMJ on the phone a few hours ago and told him about the new info on the "Green & White USA" Flag. He visited this thread while we were on the phone and he sounded very happy about the new information as he'd been seeking info on HIS "G&W USA" Flag for many, many years. I asked him to join these forums and tell us about his Flag and, if possible, take a few pictures of it and post them here. He indicated that although he usually doesn't join or get involved in "social media", he would join us here and tell us about his Flag.

An interesting (I hope) side note: Both Rechelle (Original Poster of this thread) and JMJ live in Arizona!

The More, The Merrier!!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

15. Robin Hickman

The Green & Yellow University Of Oregon "Fighting Ducks" Flag (Based The U.S. Flag Template).

[​IMG]

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man - And Ducks Fan!"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Attached Files: