Need help identifying...

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Kate, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Kate

Kate New Member

Have a flag that has a brown colored field with 50 gold stars, red/white stripes, and gold fringe around the flag. Has anyone seen one that has a different colored field? From what I've read, gold stars usually relates to a burial flag (& usually has 48 stars) back in the day. The fringe usually relates to being an inside flag. But the brown colored field is unusual (unless it was purposely brown instead of blue for film, again, back in the day).

The field is not faded or discolored due to chemical or weather. The fabric is actually brownish.

Can anyone offer insight?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Kate!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Wow! What an interesting Flag! Is the Flag-maker's name inside either end of the Flag's "pole-hem"?

I can not remember, nor can I say, that I have ever seen a U.S. Flag with a BROWN Field/Canton/Union. I have seen 40 different shades of blue and a few different ones where the blue had faded into a few shades of "lilac", but never brown!

If the Flag was made with the field/canton/Union brown for "Black & White" photographic or cinematic purposes, I would assume that the Flag maker would have also substituted a different color (or shade of gray) for the blue Union. BUT... I am NOT an expert in either B&W photography or cinematography. I do remember reading/seeing somewhere that back in the Black & White movie & TV days, they would use chocolate syrup to simulate blood if the scene called for it.

Wow! What an interesting Flag!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

could it belong to the Brownie association? Just a thought