Neighborhood flag display

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by ZaneLockhart, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ZaneLockhart

ZaneLockhart New Member

Hello, I am new to this website. However, I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to on the web. For years, my neighborhood association has set out hundreds of the 18" tall flags in front of homes for the 4th of July (and occassionally other patriotic holidays). Usually there is one flag placed per house up and down the street. The question was raised by one of our board members whether this was a permissable display and respect for the flag. He considers the display more of a decoration. Others disagree. The same type flags are often placed in military cemetaries for Memorial Day, yet no one questions whether these thousands of flags are being used as decorations. I have not been able to find anything in the flag code that prohibits or discourages a community flag display but I am open to the opinion of others who may have more experience in these matters.

Zane

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Zane! Welcome to the forum.

I certainly can't see anything wrong with the display you describe, as long as the flags are securely placed and they don't brush the ground or foul on wires, trees or each other. Sure, its a "decoration," but it's an attractive and patriotic one. The more flags, the better!!

Would you by any chance have a photo of the display from past years? If so, is there any chance that you might be able to post it here in the forum?

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

3. ZaneLockhart

ZaneLockhart New Member

Peter, thank you for the response. This is the type of feed back I was hoping for. Per you request I have posted some pictures that you can view at the following link: Picasa Web Albums - SSNAFlags .

Unfortunately, I can only show 3 or 4 flags in a picture as they disappear into the distance. However, we usually place around 200 flags for the 4th of July in front of each residence. We also tried attaching flags to the tops of street lamps, which you can see in one picture. We tried this because the flag would receive some illumination at night. However, we decided later that the lighting was not sufficient and do not do this any longer.

There are also pictures taken from the neighborhood's annual Police and Firefighters Picnic. A couple of the pictures show a flag-lined front entrance that identifies the host family and provides a walk of honor for the first responders. Typically we have about 150 neighbors, officers, and firefighters who attend each year.

Zane

4. Well i think those flags look great!

Agree with Peter - The more flags the better!