New Flag, a small black stain on red?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by ExorDG, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ExorDG

ExorDG New Member

Hello, I just received a new flag to hang in my room. I noticed there's a small black stain on red color. I feel that bleach might not be good idea as it might fade the red color around the stain area. Is there any way I can to clean it without fading the color?

Thank you!

2. ExorDG

ExorDG New Member

Anyone?

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Bleach will definitely fade the red dye, and perhaps damage the fabric as well. Try washing the flag by hand in cold water using Woolite or some such cleaner for fine fabrics. Then lay out the flag flat to dry.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, ExorDC!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

I concur with NAVA1974's advice (above).

Further, although you haven't identified the Flag's fabric (Cotton, Nylon, Wool, etc.) you might try pre-soaking with a "wet" paste of "OxyClean", or similar product containing Sodium Percarbonate & Sodium Carbonate (or just Sodium Carbonate, as in some coffee makers cleaners), directly on the black stain. If it actually IS just a stain, then you'll stand a chance of getting it out. On the other hand, if it is a spot of black DYE accidentally applied during the manufacturing process, it will be there "forever".

Please let us know here how it turns out! I wish you GOOD LUCK !!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. ExorDG

ExorDG New Member

The flag is polyster. Anything I should know before using product on polyster?

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

There "usually" aren't very many problems with washing polyester Flags. The general "rule of thumb" for washing Flags (of any fabric) is to use very mild detergent (like WooLite) to hand-wash them or use the most "gentle" wash cycle on the washing machine. Cotton and Wool are "natural" fabrics, so you need to be a little more careful with them.

As I said earlier, if the black spot is dye that was mistakenly spilled or applied during the manufacturing process, then it will be there "forever". If it is some kind of stain (hopefully organic) then you'll have a chance of getting it out.

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman