New flag collector needs information.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Tim C, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Tim C

Tim C New Member

I recently found a 45 star flag and decided I would build a collection for my grandson. How do I know what is real and repo?
    Thanks.
    Tim

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Tim,
    Thank you for contacting the forum. You have the experts here at your fingertips to verify the age of your flag (unless, of course, it is a recently made forgery intended to deceive, but since 45-star flags aren't worth more than a couple hundred bucks it doesn't make sense to put thousands of dollars of effort into doing so.)

Look at the flag and tell us how is the flag put together, how are the stars affixed, what do the materials look like, is there a heading with brass grommets, is there any info printed or written on the heading, what is the condition? And of course, please post a couple of photos for us to examine, and you will get plenty of history to start your grandson's collection with.
    Nick
    Columbia, Maryland

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Tim ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

Wow! A 45-Star Flag! How exciting !!! :eek:

As you may, or may not know, Utah was the 45th State admitted to the Union on January 4th, 1896. The 45-Star Flag was our "Official" Flag from July 4th, 1896 to July 3rd, 1908, a span of 12 years.

There was a lot of "History" happening in those 12 years, and maybe your flag was there to "see" some of it! There were three Presidential Elections & Inaugurations! The first three modern Olympic Games were in 1896, 1900, 1904, and the fourth games were held in 1908! There were World's Fairs & Expositions, including the one held in St. Louis, Missouri in 1904! What about the Spanish-American War of 1898?

Wow! What a LUCKY Grandson! :D

"Real or Repo?" Well, you've come to a pretty good site to find out!

First of all, MOST Flags of that period were made of either wool or cotton, and to a lesser extent, sometimes linen or silk. Sometimes they might be made of a combination of materials such as the red & white stripes and the blue union being made of wool and the white stars being made of cotton.

IF any part (or all) of your Flag is made of nylon or polyester, then it's a post-WWII reproduction. Nylon wasn't patented until 1937 (and polyester shortly after that) and didn't come into wide-spread use as flag "material" until sometime after World War II. :(

Nick (NAVA1974) is right, any details about the construction of your Flag will be a BIG help! And of course, photographs !!!

At least one picture of the entire Flag, and maybe a close-up of the Union and some of the Stars (sewing details, etc.).

BTW : What size is your Flag ?

You said that you "found" the Flag. Do you know anything of its "history", or can you contact the previous owner to see if they know anything?

Anyway, Thank you for joining or forums and bringing your Flag-related question here !!!

Robin Hickman

4. Tim C

Tim C New Member

Tim C.
    I hope this is where I reply. I am impressed with the replys I have received. WOW! Thanks. The flag is 6 x 10 feet and the stars are individualy sewn on on both sides. Each of the long red and long white stripes are sewn on also. The blue portion is two pieces, and the short (7) red and white are individually sewn stripes. The material is ??/ but it is thin and see through material. There is a name on the flag--W. Bruchhauser. I don't have the ability to send photos but I will obtain theat soon so I can take advantage of the wonderful knowledge I have found. Thank you so much. By the way, I didn't really find it, I paid $90 for it and when I saw it I thought, what a gift for my grandson to have.

5. Tim C

Tim C New Member

Tim C.
    I hope this is where I reply. I am impressed with the replys I have received. WOW! Thanks. The flag is 6 x 10 feet and the stars are individualy sewn on on both sides. Each of the long red and long white stripes are sewn on also. The blue portion is two pieces, and the short (7) red and white are individually sewn stripes. The material is ??/ but it is thin and see through material. There is a name on the flag--W. Bruchhauser. I don't have the ability to send photos but I will obtain theat soon so I can take advantage of the wonderful knowledge I have found. Thank you so much. By the way, I didn't really find it, I paid $90 for it and when I saw it I thought, what a gift for my grandson to have.

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Tim C. Your flag is most likely made of wool bunting with cotton applied stars, and a cotton heading. The name on the heading is probably just the name of the owner. Looking forward to seeing the pictures whenever you can post them to the Forum.
    Nick