New Flag Site

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by kirshmed, Nov 16, 2018.

1. kirshmed

kirshmed New Member

Hey All!

I just launched a new site for my collection... www.grandflagco.com

Check it out when you get a chance! I understand that some pieces may be priced on the high end, however sales are not the main goal. I wanted a way for everyday individuals to find me on the internet to sell me their treasures they find up in the attic. Find me on social too... let's connect!

2. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

It's a nice site with some beautiful flags. I think I purchased a WWI Victory pennant from you earlier this year and I have watched several other of your flags on Ebay recently. I'm still looking at that 52 star. It's a cool curiosity flag. What made you want to sell? I'm usually so excited when I find a new one for my collection that I would have a hard time parting with any of them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  3. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  4. kirshmed

kirshmed New Member

It is tough, although as I buy and sell more, my personal collection grows as well. The 52 star is awesome! Not very many of those floating around. I had a dispute with Cowans a while back over the smallest most insignificant thing ever.... As such my registration for the event is still "pending" ha. If approved I would 100% bid on each one of those. If you happen to bid and win today... let me know! I'll make you an offer :)

5. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Cowan's Auction is in Cincinnati, Ohio not too far from me. We actually use the same IT guy to run our networks. I have never bid online with them but have gone in person. I'm not going today as the flags are all larger than I like to purchase.

Your 34-star guidon is also fantastic and while I have not previously heard of General Crook, I read from your description that he served under General Sheridan. That brought back a "fun" memory last night. About thirty years ago I was a plebe at West Point and one particular evening was getting some personal attention from a gang of upperclassmen along with my good friend and classmate, Tim Sheridan. The Dixie drawl made it clear that the whole bunch of them were from the deep south. In the middle of our shouting session the leader of the gang stopped and asked "Cadet Sheridan - are you a descendent of General Sheridan??!!??" There was a long pause and I realized "OH HELL". When Tim responded yes you would have thought the barracks exploded. It certainly exploded on us. Fun times.

6. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Great website, I had been "watching" that Horstmann 35.

7. kirshmed

kirshmed New Member

It’s still available and yours if you want it!

8. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

I just purchased the 52-star flag. Yesterday I drove from Cincinnati, Ohio to Macon, Georgia and back again for a 1,092 round trip journey. The flag is gorgeous and well worth the cost and time to pick up. I am extremely pleased. This was actually my second purchase from The Grand Flag Company. My first was a WWI victory banner purchased early last year. Both are framed and now hanging in my office.

It was wonderful meeting you yesterday and seeing the other flags in your collection. Very impressive! You have some real masterpieces and I hope to get a few more from you in the future. Thank you for your time and the expertise you share on this forum. Take care.

Attached Files:

9. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Great flag David and real dedication to the hobby. I'm not sure I understand a "52" but it is a great looking flag. Dexter

10. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Thanks Dexter - I love that it is a 52-star. The flag looks about 100 years old and sewn when we had 48 states. Sewing a flag with 52 stars showed great optimism that the country would continue to grow. Of course Alaska and Hawaii did eventually become states. It is fun to wonder which other two may have been in mind when the creator made this flag. Perhaps Puerto Rico, Philippians, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Somoa, or even statehood for Washington DC. I would give better-than-even odds that Puerto Rico will become a state within the next 10 years. The others seem very unlikely now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  11. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Thanks David, you try and learn something new every day.

12. kirshmed

kirshmed New Member

Thanks for coming down...will make the trip up to you next time! Enjoy the flag... Was one of my favorites. Shoot us all a picture once it's up in the office

13. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Unfortunately the office where I keep most of them is not impressive. I work in a factory and have flags along the hallway leading to my door and several more inside my office. As we discussed during my visit, my company decorates apparel. We screenprint, embroider, applique, and dye press - all flag manufacturing methods. I like it when a customer asks some question about a decoration method and I say "let me show you an example of that on this 37 star flag...".

Attached Files:

14. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    David, I disagree with your assessment of your office. I, for one, am, like, Totally IMPRESSED!

Given the collective value of all those Flags, you just might have the most "expensive" office in any factory in Ohio!

Just Sayin'. . . . .

Robin

David Wagner likes this.
  15. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Yes, very impressive. Are there any issues with flourescent lights over time? Perhaps the plexi has some protection qualities?