new to the forum looking for advice

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by cj jim, Nov 1, 2010.

1. cj jim

cj jim New Member

Hi. I have recently inherited a LARGE 48 star American flag. Measures 8 feet high x 17 feet long. Stamped on the edge -Valley Forge Flag Co. U.S. Ensign No.6. Material has several small flaws- 5 the size of a pencil tip puncture & 3 the size of the eraser end. Could be snags, shrapnel or moths. Otherwise, the material shows no wear. The colors are vibrant with no fading or water stains. Looks like new condition other than the flaws. Fabric is cotton. Stripes are 8 inches wide & stitched. Stars are 7 inches across & are stitched on both sides of the flag. Was wondering if this flag is of any monetary value & what would it be worth & where would be a good place to list it for sale? Thank you so very much for your anticipated help. Jim. 248-722-9427 jzventuresllc@gmail.com

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi cj jim and welcome to the forum! You described your flag as made of cotton, are you sure it is not wool bunting? Wool bunting was the material of choice for government issue flags until mid-20th century. Cotton would feel a little rougher than cotton. In the world of flag collecting bigger is not always better. Large flags are difficult to display and collectors like to show off their collections. Moreover since so many 48 star flags were made unless there is some documented history to the flag the value will not be what you expect. I have seen such flags on eBay go for $50-$100 depending on its condition. Can you post a picture of the flag or send me a picture and I can post it. My email is emmalpass@yahho.com.

3. cj jim

cj jim New Member

Thank you so much for your quick response. e-mailed pictures. Looking for a buyer.

4. cj jim

cj jim New Member

e-mail sent to csaanv

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

Here are Jim's photos of his 48 star flag:
    48star-1.jpg

48star-2.jpg

48star-3.jpg

48star-5.jpg

48star-6.jpg

6. cj jim

cj jim New Member

Thank you for submitting my photos. Jim.

7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

VERY Nice Flag !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA