New to the site. Excited to grow my knowledge and collection

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Henry, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry New Member

8B2639A7-725C-44C9-8041-F4A27A6C7965.jpeg B5528C7D-2AD7-489E-8B1F-2F93AE26640C.jpeg Hey guys, new to the site, and really the world of flags. I collect pretty much anything old, but have always loved military items. Recently I was able to go through a house that was destined to be tore down and take what I wanted.
    Within the tons of military items I found in the attic was two 48 star flags. One of which was a ensign flag. Stapled to the flag was a note stating, “This ensign taken from the USS Virginia, before being dismantled. Although the flag has 48 stars it seems to be dated Oct 1909. The flag measures 1.3’x2.5’. Im hoping with the pictures provided somebody might be able to help me confirm it was on that ship, and which USS Virginia it was. Thanks!

2. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

I love and collect old Navy flags, yours is great. I really don't know why a 1909 dated flag has 48 stars, I think it should have 46. Is it possible that two stars were added? Or does it follow the 6x8 pattern? Since your flag is small, it's very desirable because they are easier to frame/display. Clearly it was made in New York, there was a boat flag posted recently that was made in 1919 that has similar markings, it should only be a few threads back that you should check out. It looks like it says Ensign No 42 but it (in my opinion) says Ensign No 12 which makes more sense. A #12 is a Navy flag size that corresponds to your flag. I'm not aware of a "42". Perhaps it was restamped if they didn't like the first attempt. A better picture of the overall flag would help. Thanks for showing.

Henry likes this.
  3. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Markings on a flag that I own... IMG_0641 (1).JPG IMG_0642 (1).JPG IMG_0643 (1).JPG

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome Henry! Just a quick comment: The tag in your photo says that the flag was taken from the "SS" Virginia, not "USS." That would imply that the vessel was a civilian merchant ship. However, the markings on the flag sure indicate Navy manufacture. I'm not sure what those facts add up to, but here is one interesting possibility:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/172432.htm

This page documents a steamer named SS Virginia, built in 1891 for service on the Great Lakes, that was acquired by the Navy as a transport in 1918 and commissioned as USS Blue Ridge. It looks like she was heavily modified for Navy service -- they even took the bow off to get her through the St. Lawrence locks. I don't know if that would count as being "dismantled," but . . .

5. Henry

Henry New Member

Dexter, I will take some better picture when I get home later. As well as some pictures I found in the attic as well that appear to be seams on a ship from around ww1. I would have to agree that it says NO. 12 aswell. Any ideas what the last marking numbers might be?? The stars are definitely in a 6x8 pattern, that is why I was racking my brain as to why the flag seems to be dated 1909.

I wonder is the S.S. VIRIGINIA was a mistake and they omitted the “U” or if it was intentional. It came out of an attic a few miles south of Boston.

Finally, does anyone have experience in having these kind of flags preserved and framed properly, and what kind of an expense I would be looking at?

Thanks guys! Unreal site!

6. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

I'm guessing that the "C No. 7160" is a contract number but again, a guess. The same number is also on the third flag I spoke about. I'd love to hear the expert opinion.