Newbie and Texas flag

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by Thomas Dybala, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Thomas Dybala

Thomas Dybala New Member

First time on this site. Was looking for information about whether or not to display my flag on Labor Day. Don't think I will. But plan to display it on Sept 11.
    But!!, now as I was reading flag etiquette, I found a mistake, an oversight or what-have-you.:( The Texas flag is to be flown at the same height as our nation's Stars and Stripes. Texas joined the Union as a sovereign nation, the Republic of Texas. Not to put too fine a point on it, but as I understand it, we are not currently a sovereign nation, but we/it maintain(s) the right to secede (without breaking a law). By extension, (it just occurred to me), Texas was the only state that did not commit treason by joining the Confederacy.!!
    Thinking about it, it seems, however, that if the Texas flag is displayed with other states' flags, with or without an American flag, it should probaby be flown at the same height as the states' flags.
    So, in general, in Texas, when the Texas and American flags are flown together, they should be at the same height.
    I seem to remember that this summer, when our family drove to California and back, we saw, ah, yes, my family just confirmed, we saw the Arizona flag flown at the same height as the American and British flags in Lake Havasu at the London Bridge. Hmmph!:( :eek:

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Thomas -- welcome to the forum!

Was looking for information about whether or not to display my flag on Labor Day. Don't think I will.

According to the flag code, "The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on . [among other holidays] . . Labor Day, first Monday in September. . ." We're flying ours today!

The Texas flag is to be flown at the same height as our nation's Stars and Stripes.

All state flags can be flown at the same height as the US flag. The flag code says "No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America . . ."

Texas joined the Union as a sovereign nation, the Republic of Texas. Not to put too fine a point on it, but as I understand it, we are not currently a sovereign nation, but we/it maintain(s) the right to secede . . .

Texas was a sovereign nation before it became a state, but its current status is not different from any other state. Hawaii and Vermont were also nations before they came states (Hawaii was independent for much longer than Texas!). None of them "maintain a right to secede," although there are fringe independence movements of one sort or another in all three.

. . .if the Texas flag is displayed with other states' flags, with or without an American flag, it should probaby be flown at the same height as the states' flags.

Again, there is nothing special about the Texas flag relative to other state flags. All state flags are typically flown at the same height as the US flag. When multiple state flags are flown together, they're usually ordered in either alphabetical order or in the order that the states joined the union. In the latter case, the original 13 are in the order that they ratified the Constitution.

we saw the Arizona flag flown at the same height as the American and British flags in Lake Havasu

This was correct etiquette. The order from the viewer's left to right would be USA, UK, Arizona.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff