Newbie: What to look for in a 48 star flag.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Kelly R., Mar 19, 2009.

1. Kelly R.

Kelly R. New Member

Hi,

I am new here. I would like to find a 48 star flag for my home. I know that it was used for 47 years, 1912 to 1959. Are there any particular things one should look for when purchasing one? Not realy looking for one with any special history. Just would like to find a good quality flag. What are the most common sizes? About what price range would one expect to pay?

Kelly R.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Kelly R.
    Take a look at this WorthPoint site on American flags:
    Collecting Historical American Flags | WorthPoint

The best place to buy a 48 star flag is eBay because they are quite numerous. Search for "48 star flag", then click on "completed listing" and see what the flags at the various sizes have sold for - that will give you a good idea of their value so that you don't over-bid. There are often 48-star internment flags of cotton, measuring nearly 5x10 feet, that are in good shape for under $20. Good luck!

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Kelly -- welcome to the forum!

In addition to Nick's comments about vintage flags, it's worth mentioning that you can also buy a brand-new 48-star flag; they are still manufactured and are available in nylon and polyester from many flag dealers. A good-quality nylon 48-star flag would probably cost between $40 and $50.

Peter Ansoff

4. fast1

fast1 Member

has anyone bought flags from amazon? can amazon be trusted? haven bought anything from there before[​IMG]

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

has anyone bought flags from amazon?

I've bought several flags though Amazon. Most of the ones that they sell are polyester, which is lower quality and not recommended if you plan to fly the flag outdoors on a daily basis. However, they're fine for occasional use or indoor display.

Amazon's service is generally very good, and the prices are quite reasonable; they're actually selling them through various flag dealers. There is one thing that you need to watch for on the pricing: some of their flags are advertised for as little as $2, but the postage and handling charge is much more. Even so, however, they offer some good deals.

Peter Ansoff