Odd stamp on flag header

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by RedShirtArmy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. RedShirtArmy

RedShirtArmy New Member

Hello,

I tried to find answer in someone else's posting before I posted my own, but I can't find anyone who has had the same stampings on their flag. Recently, my Grandfather passed away, and I received several boxes of his personal belongings. In one of the boxes I found several items relating to his service in the Pacific during WWII. One such item was a very detailed scrapbook which included pictures of women I'm sure my grandmother was never happy about... Anyways, I found this 48 star flag in the box. It's severely worn at the end. There isn't any part of the end that isn't frayed. On the header of the flag is a stamp that reads "U.S. NO 10 M1(I?) 44". Does anyone know what this might mean? I would greatly appreciate any help. The link below shows two pictures of the flag.

Login | Facebook

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Red Shirt Army ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums ! :D

QUOTE : "On the header of the flag is a stamp that reads "U.S. NO 10 M1(I?) 44"."

I believe that the markings on your Flag's hoist refer to the Flags' size (U.S.N. Ensign #10), where it was manufactured (Mare Island Naval Base, California), and the year it was made (1944).

The size #10 ensign = 2.90' x 5.51'. Does your Flag measure close to that? Maybe a little smaller if it was washed and shrunk.

Don't worry, if I'm wrong, somebody will be along shortly to make the necessary corrections! :D

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

No. 10 is likely a little guy, 2.5 feet in length. I am speaking off the top of my head and so am curious to see if I am correct.

The rest is spot on.

Was someone in the household in the Navy? If so, you should find out what ship he/she served on.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

U.S. Navy Ensign Size Chart! :D

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq129-1.htm

Flag Size Number = Hoist x Fly Length (in feet)

Size 1 = 20.00' x 38.00'
    Size 2 = 19.00' x 36.10'
    Size 3 = 14.35' x 27.27'
    Size 4 = 12.19' x 23.16'
    Size 5 = 10.00' x 19.00'
    Size 6 = 8.94' x 16.99'
    Size 7 = 5.14' x 9.77'
    Size 8 = 5.00' x 9.50'
    Size 9 = 3.52' x 6.69'
    Size 10 = 2.90' x 5.51'
    Size 11 = 2.37' x 4.50'
    Size 12 = 1.31' x 2.49'