OHIO Statehood : 3/01/1803

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by Robin Hickman, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, To The Great State Of OHIO !!! :D

I should be flying an Ohio flag out in front of my house, but I've got TWO of them and I don't know which one to fly !!! :eek:

They are BOTH great big, brand new, 4'x6' Annin Nyl-Glo Ohio State flags! :eek:

SIGH . . . . . Decisions, decisions . . . . . :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon (NOT OHIO!), USA

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Fly the rectangular one.

:D

3. Robin Hickman

I looked ALL over but I couldn't find the retangular Ohio State Flag. After two hours or so, I finally gave up looking for it and posted the two big ones out front and took some pictures to commemorate the occasion. :cool:

It was a little "awkward" because my American Flag is only 3'x5' while both of the OHIO flags are "roughly" 4'x6'. I finally decided that the easiest thing would be to mount them on slightly shorter poles! :eek:

Oh, Well . . . . . :cool:

Happy 108th Birthday, OHIO !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I did a back-of-the-envelope sketch of an Ohio burgee, and I estimated that a 4x6 Ohio flag would cover just slightly less than 15 square feet. And the area of your 3x5 foot USA flag is...?

So your Ohio flags ARE smaller than your US flag! :eek:

Nick

5. coasterville

coasterville Member

Ohio resident checking in here. I have my 3x5 Ruffin Ohio Flag out. Its the 600D poly (think something akin to Annin Tough Tex) but thats not the cool feature. The cool feature is the stars are embroidered, and the flag is of sewn construction instead of printed.

When I looked at Ohio flags from the Annin dealer .5 mile from me, there offerings looked to be all printed. (I even have one of theirs)

I've seen those rectangle shaped Ohio flags - one word: TACKY!

It appears this thread doesn't have an appropriate photo, here is one from my collection - note it is the Annin NYL GLO printed Ohio flag:

[​IMG]
    United States and Ohio Flags by Coasterville, on Flickr

6. Robin Hickman

Hi, David !!!

Hi, Nick !!!

The least "awkward" solution that I could come up with was to mount the great big 4x6 Ohio State Flags on slightly shorter poles than the one my "regular" 3x5 U.S. Flag (Annin Sun-Glo). So instead of picking one or the other, they BOTH got to fly at the same time!

Here's some photos from yesterday. The first two are of the Ohio flags in their boxes before attaching them to their poles, and the second pair are the Flags a-flyin' :

P1060501.JPG
    P1060504.JPG
    P1060510.JPG
    P1060516.JPG

Robin ("Saturday Night In Toledo, Ohio") Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Robin,
    Thanks for the photos. Did you tell your neighbors that the "O" in the burgees stood for Oregon?:p

But I am curious as to why you did not flank the taller US flag with the two Ohio flags to either side of it? The left-to-right precidence applies when all flags are at the same hieght.

The flag code, 4USC7(e) states:

(e) The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs.

For those not familiar with where they can find the US Flag Code, see:
    Flag Code

(I know YOU know where to find it, Robin, :cool: but from the number of newbies who visit the forum asking basic flag etiquette questions, this link may be of some use.)

Nick A

Columbia Maryland

22 miles from Fort McHenry, where the Battle of Baltimore was fought in 1814, and 33 miles from the Smithsonian Museum of American History where the original Star Spangled Banner was preserved by Amelia Fowler in 1914.

And about 40 miles from Frederick, Maryland, where Barbara Fritchie dared Jeb Stewart's troops to shoot when she waved the Stars and Stripes at his Rebel cavalry. And about 60 miles from Gettysburg where the preservation of the Union was pretty much sewn up in 1863.

8. Robin Hickman

RIGHT you are, Nick !!! :eek:

As Gomer Pyle would say, "Golllleeeeeeeee! Cha-grin, cha-grin, cha-grin!!!" :eek:

I was SO concerned about the size differential that the only "solution" (however awkward) I could think of was to find a couple of slightly shorter poles and make sure that the American Flag was all the way to its own right! (one track mind, I guess...)

I should have known better and I do. While I was taking the pictures there was a tiny little something that was "bugging" me, but I could NOT figure out just what it was. I just chalked it up to having too many little chores to take care of and worrying that I'd forgotten one. ( You know, as in making sure that the American Flag was on the tallest pole AND in the middle, between the two Ohio flags !!! :eek: )

Chagrin, Chagrin, Chagrin !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

9. coasterville

coasterville Member

Here is my newer - never been flown till this year - all sewn/embroidered construction Ohio flag.

It's a Ruffin, which means it has the super gigantic grommets which don't work with the spinning poles flag mounts so I had to get creative, thanks to $2.00 for a different flag mounting system I found at Meijers.

It's a heavy flag, at 600D poly. I hope the pic below is large enough to bring out some of the detail work.

[​IMG]
    Ohio flag - all sewn construction by Coasterville, on Flickr