old American Flag with current Flag

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by sjtjknight, Apr 23, 2007.

1. sjtjknight

sjtjknight Guest

If I was to have an old Flag representing the original 13 colonies and a current flag how could I display them?

2. well that depends. are you having them on poles? on the wall? where are you planning to display them? the 13 star flag - im assuming this is a reproduction? (a new flag with old pattern on it) if its real old i would not suggest flying it on a pole!
    lets have some more information then i can help u

3. sjtjknight

sjtjknight Guest

I don't have one yet, but I thought It would be nice to get a reproduction of the Betsy Ross Flag. Really I was wondering If I could fly it instead of the current flag on occasion, or all of the time, but I wasn't sure if it would be apropriate. If it isn't, I guess I would be displaying them on a couple of diagonal poles on the side of my house. Thank you for your wonderful. advice.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I was wondering If I could fly it instead of the current flag on occasion, or all of the time, but I wasn't sure if it would be apropriate.

There's nothing inappropriate about flying a former version of the American flag. We do it all the time, especially on related anniversaries and holidays. For example, we fly the 48 star flag to commemorate Pearl Harbor.

The so-called "Betsy Ross" flag, with the 13 stars in a circle, is pretty much legendary -- just about all contemporary pictures of Revolutionary-war era American flags show the stars in rows. Fortunately, the major flag companies make modern reproductions of many early flags that are more authentic than the "Betsy Ross" flag. One of my favorites is the Serapis flag, which flew over the British ship Serapis after she was captured by John Paul Jones. The flag has red, white and blue stripes and a combination of 7 and 8-pointed stars.

Regards,

Peter Ansoff