One Flag in Short Memorial Procession to Old Gravesite

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by SuperSarge, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SuperSarge

SuperSarge New Member

Greetings:

I work for the Sheriff's Department, and I discovered that we have a fallen officer from over 100 years ago. This Saturday, September 25, 2010, will be the anniversary of the date of his death.

I am also an Assistant Scoutmaster in my son's Troop. There will be a craft fair down the street from the grave site, where the Sheriff will make an announcement of a short ceremony that will take place at the grave site. I want to have the procession as follows:

Marked patrol vehicle
    American Flag carried by Scout
    Sheriff
    Sheriff's Department
    Scouts
    Public

Does that sound about right?

The procession will only be about 5-600 yards long. The Sheriff will read a little bit, then place a wreath at the grave site. We will Present Arms (does the flag dip or not?) then Order Arms (does the flag to back up?). The Sheriff will then thank everyone, etc.

The flag will then lead back out to the road, where it will then be stored in the patrol vehicle, since there will be no procession back to the point of origin.

If there are any problems that you see, please advise.

Thank you,

Tom

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome, Tom!

If there are any problems that you see, please advise.

The only problem I see is that the flag should not be dipped. Both military regs and the civilian flag code are pretty clear that the US flag is never dipped, except in certain naval situations that don't apply here. If you have a second color bearer with the Department flag, that one can be dipped.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff