Order of precedence in a permanent flag plaza

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Barry Brown, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Barry Brown

Barry Brown New Member

The plaza includes two 35 foot flag poles for the U.S. and state flags, flanked by six 25 foot poles for the flags of each service plus the POW/MIA flag, three on the left and three on the right. What is the proper order? From what I read, U.S. flag on the right tall staff, State flag on the left tall staff. On the flanking poles, from left to right, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, POW/MIA. Please advise and thank you.

2. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Barry, welcome to the forum. Your description of the Order of Precedence for the military service flags and the POW/MIA flag is correct. However, from the same view point, the US flag should be positioned to the left of the State flag. See §7(c) of the US Flag Code: "No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America"...(the US flag's own right).

If you have the opportunity, post a photo of this flag plaza on this thread. Photos often help to clarify questions posted on the forum.

Bill Jameson
    Vet & Flag Advocate

3. Barry Brown

Barry Brown New Member

Understood and thanks for the reply. I had missed the "US flag's own right" condition. I'll send a picture soon.
    BLB