Order of Procession

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Bruce.Kaspari, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Bruce.Kaspari

Bruce.Kaspari New Member

During a Veterans Day flag raising ceremony what is the proper order of events?

We plan to have military members raise the flag and then lower and post it at half-staff. We also plan to have a bugler play taps, a vocalist sign the National Anthem or America the beautiful and a Pledge of Allegiance.

I am not certain when each of these things should happen but here is my guess.

The Color Guard raises the flag to full-staff and as it is lowered slowly to half-staff the bugler plays Taps. Once the flag is tied off, the Pledge of Allegiance is recited followed by the National Anthem.

Is there a proper protocol for these to occur in a specific order?
  2. Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner New Member

See either the Legion or VFW post officers guides for these ceremonies.
  3. flagboy

flagboy New Member

flag is not half staff on Vets Day
  4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Flag is a half staff in vets day.

No, actually it is not. The Flag Code specifies only two holidays, Memorial Day and Peace Officers' Memorial Day, on which the flag is displayed at half-staff. The President's proclamation of Veterans' Day, which was issued on 7 November of this year, stated:

"I encourage all Americans to recognize the valor and sacrifice of our veterans through appropriate public ceremonies and private prayers. I call upon Federal, State, and local officials to display the flag of the United States and to participate in patriotic activities in their communities."

The text of the proclamation made it clear that the holiday honors all veterans, both living and deceased.

Peter Ansoff