Oregon Scouts Cut Flag to Burn It

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by Robin Hickman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'm mad or sad. A little of both, I guess. :mad: :(

TODAY, June 14th, 2010, a local TV station, KVAL, did a "Flag Day" news story on a local troop of Boy Scouts "retiring" American Flags. The Scouts and their troop leader said mostly the "right" things about the Flag, the "Flag Code", disposing of worn out Flags in a respectful manner, etc.

Then they started CUTTING UP the Flags.

On camera.

http://www.kval.com/home/video/96335479.html

Folks, after reading all of the threads here about "retiring" Flags and the "proper" and "respectful" ways of doing so, to me the most "problematic" of them has been the 10,000 or so (exaggerated) different "ceremonies" that involve cutting the Flag into bits & pieces before burning it.

I've tried to keep an "open mind" about it. In fact, I'm still trying to. Honest.

It's one thing to READ about people (usually some kind of "scouts") following and performing strange, ritualist ceremonies of cutting up Flags to burn them.

But to actually WATCH them do it..... UGH !

I wish I had the words and the eloquence to convince the various Scouting "entities" to cease and desist the barbaric practice of cutting up the American Flag before respectfully "retiring" it by rendering it to the flames.

Sorry to be so "down".....

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

2. panmunjomi

panmunjomi New Member

Actually, the BSA was wrong to retire the flag in public; my troop retires flags no longer fit for public display but we always do this in private and with a high degree of respect.

That Troop Leader should have his post removed.

"it is the right of every American Citizen to burn the flag of this great nation but never under the watchful eye of the public or in the harsh spotlight of the media, only then it is considered to be a sign of disrespect to the Americans who have fought and died for it's free display"

3. watkeison

watkeison New Member

Flags may be properly retired in public if it is done as part of a proper Retirement Ceremony.

y'all take care
    Bill Atkeison
    Veteran; Legal US Citizen

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Flags may be properly retired in public if it is done as part of a proper Retirement Ceremony.

This is true, in the sense that it's not illegal to publically dispose of flags. However, military regulations are fairly clear that it should be done in private, and the original (1923) version of the civilian flag code said the same thing.

Peter Ansoff

5. governor.gillard

governor.gillard New Member

Many boy scouts are taught to cut the blue field out of the flag before burning. I think this is most likely because the Boy Scouts of America believe scouts are incapable of burning flags properly with out getting burnt themselves, so they cut the blue field out to place on the fire and then place the stripes on. As a cub scout I was taught to cut the blue field out and then burn it. Once I joined a boy scout troop however I was taught the proper way of burning the blue field first while still attached to the stripes. Whenever new scouts retire flags for the first time at ceremonies it's no surprise that they look for a knife to cut the flag.

6. nobody666

nobody666 New Member

On top of the flagpole is a ball called a Trunk. In it are a razor a match and a bullet. In my military training and any Veterans should know the proper way to dispose of a flag IS to cut the stars from the bars hence the razor blade. Burn it respectfully... the match. and the bullet well that is self explanatory. It would be a shame if ANY soldier did not know this.

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

In my military training and any Veterans should know the proper way to dispose of a flag IS to cut the stars from the bars hence the razor blade.

Can you cite any reference for this? It certainly does not appear in any of the military service regs on flags, or in the civilian Flag Code.

Peter Ansoff

8. woodye85741

woodye85741 New Member

I believe that flag code states that when retiring flag it may be cut along the stripes and then each stripe thus ceremoniously burned. ( Not sure about The field ) Possibly Field is burned whole? Sorry,I did not see video. I got Bad viewer software. Maybe it's better I hadn't seen the process done. Being there would be solemn yet prideful.

9. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Woodye85741! :cool:

Welcome to the UAS-FLAG-SITE Forum! :cool:

I am the originator of this thread and I was able to re-play the KVAL video even though it was first shown over four years ago. Sorry you were unable to watch it. Still makes me feel a little Sad/Mad. Oh, well.....

In regards to the U.S. Civilian "Flag Code" (United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 — The Flag) and what it says about the "retiring" (disposing) of a U.S. Flag is contained in Section 8, sub-section k : "The Flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning". And that's all the Flag code says about it.

You can find a copy of the U.S. Civilian "Flag Code" on the USHistory.org website. just click on the following link : http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Thank You! :cool:

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.