Pace Corporation 48 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by edo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. edo

edo New Member

I have a 48 star flag with Pace Corporation in Puerto Rico stamped on the fringe. Any way to get some idea of the age. I suspect it may be from Uncle who was killed in WWII.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, EDO ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "I have a 48 star flag with Pace Corporation in Puerto Rico stamped on the fringe. Any way to get some idea of the age. I suspect it may be from Uncle who was killed in WWII."

I was wondering if you are any relation to "POOLMAN5960" who asked a similar question back on 11-10-2008 ??? :cool:

Here's a link to that page. His entry is #6, near the bottom of the page.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/newbie-here-48-star-flag-id-3337.html

Although I do NOT have an answer to your question regarding the "Pace Corporation", perhaps I can help in another area.

As you are probably aware, the 48-Star Flag was our Nation's "Official" Flag from July 4th, 1912 to July 3rd, 1959, a period of 47 years. Our Nation was involved in three wars (WWI, WWII, and Korea), plus a number of "minor" skirmishes, and of course, the "Cold War". So, as you can probably guess, there were a LOT of 48-Star Flags made !

Our experts here are going to want to know a few things about your Flag before they "weigh in" with their opinions and advice.

#1. How big is the Flag?
    #2. What material is the Flag made of?
    #3. What kind of Stars are on the Flag and how are they attached?
    #4. What are all of the "identifying marks" and where are they located?
    #5. Do you know anything about the Flag's "history"?
    #6. Can you provide any photographs of the Flag?

The MORE information you can provide about your Flag the more likely it will be that one or more of us will be able to help you out (and faster too!).

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin Hickman

3. uncleflag

uncleflag New Member

I have a 48 star flag as well. It's from the Dettra Flag Co. The one thing I can't figure out is the US ENS 9. Does anyone know what that means?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Robin Hickman

Hi, Eddie (Uncle Flag) ! :D

First of all, I wanted to let you know that the TWO LINKS that are your "Signature" here, are "broken". They don't "go" anywhere. So you might want to fix or replace them. :eek:

QUOTE : "The one thing I can't figure out is the US ENS 9. Does anyone know what that means?"

Although I am an Navy veteran I might be wrong about this, but IF I remember correctly, in the Navy the terms "Flag" and "Ensign" were just about interchangeable. If your Dettra 48-Star Flag is 5'x9.5' in size, then maybe the term, "US ENS 9", is referring to a United States ENSign that is 5'x9.5'. :confused:

Or..... Maybe not ! :eek:

Robin Hickman

5. uncleflag

uncleflag New Member

Hi Robin, Thanks for the reply and the heads up on the broken links. I'm not sure what happened there, they used to work.

The flag is a 3x5 so the acronym doesn't work for the 9. I live in Pensacola, and a wonderful widow gave it to me after I gave a "History of the US flag" speech. It probably is Navy and maybe it's a specific command.

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Robin, Eddie and all,

The "US ENS 9" means that it's a US Ensign, size 9. US ensigns come in standard sizes, with 1 being the largest and 11 the smallest. A size 9 ensign would be 3 ft by 5.7 ft (according to EO 10834).

Peter Ansoff

7. Robin Hickman

QUOTE : "The "US ENS 9" means that it's a US Ensign, size 9. US ensigns come standard sizes, with 1 being the largest and 11 the smallest. A size 9 ensign would be 3 ft by 5.7 ft (according to EO 10834)."

Peter Ansoff SOLVES Another Mystery !!! :eek:

Winner and STILL the Heavyweight "Champeen"... Peter Ansoff !!! :D

Robin Hickman

PS. FWIW : I was pretty sure that the "9" in the "descriptive" referred to the Flag's size, I just couldn't remember HOW it did! :eek: