Painting Flag on inside Garage Door

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by PUNISHER VETTE, Jun 14, 2007.

1. PUNISHER VETTE

PUNISHER VETTE New Member

I'm painting an American flag on the inside of my garage door.

The garage door is 7ft by 16ft.

I saw a sheet of possible dimensions i can use but none where very close. I know it's a little long but is there anyway i can give the flag slightly longer stripes or something to make it fit the door? If so whats the best way to do this.

Also the door has 3 support beams and 12 hinges that are a galvanized steal. I was planing on painting the 3 beams but haven't decided it i should paint the hinges yet or not. Any opinions on that?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi.

The official proportions of the flag, as defined by Executive Order 10834, are 1 to 1.9 (or 10 to 19, if you prefer!). However, this applies only to flags used by the executive branch of the government, and most commercially-sold flags do not follow it. Typical commercial ratios are 2 to 3 and 3 to 5.

There's nothing "wrong" with a 7 by 16 flag, but it will look odd because it will be "stretched." Might you consider making it 7 by 14, and leaving a foot on either side of the door? It will still be narrower than most flags, but not too far out of line.

As you probably know, the union should be on the flag's right (on the left as viewed by someone facing it).

Peter Ansoff

3. PUNISHER VETTE

I just primed the 3 metal beams and am ready to paint the whole door white.

I think it would look slightly more strange with a feet on each side then it would not covering the whole garage. I'll have to do my math and take my time on that part to figure out just what to stretch out and what should stay the same.

I still haven't decided on the 12 hinges yet. I'm thinking I'll just not paint them for now and i can always go back later if i think they would look better painted.

Any advice on whats a good strategies for stretching the flag so it wont look too weird?

4. i have experiance of painting a huge US flag before on a wall that was 9 ft high and 16 or 17 ft long so it wasnt that far off the official measurements. i used masking tape to mask off the white stripes as id painted the wall white 1st and then painted the red stripes and removed he masking tape and that worked out very well for nice neat lines

then i painted the entire canton blue (top left corner) and made a star shape stencil and used white spray paint to do the stars with - that took a couple of coats but it looked quite good in the end but some of my stars whernt in the exact same place because that was a very difficut task

are you wanting a straight flag with 50 stars and 13 stripes on your door?? if you are i would paint the blue section to go about 2 5ths along the door and paint 'stretched' stars onto it...
    have you considered painting a stylized american flag???

http://www.house.gov/wu/images/american_flag.jpg

something like that???
    or ive jus done one for u using paint program
    Image of garage flag idea - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

if you did do soething like thatit would probably be easier to paint it and you wouldent have to measure the 13 stripes...
    but if you wan the origional flat american flag idea then just go for it and take your time :D
    good luck and let me know what your gonna do and of course some pictures of it :D

5. PUNISHER VETTE

UPDATE. Took some pics and figured you guys might like to see the progress.

Needs another coat of red if not 2. Then the stars, which i haven't figured out the best way to do them yet. It'll be done next weekend hopefully before the 4th.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Peter Ansoff

Pretty impressive! The blue masking tape gives an interesting effect -- it reminds me a little of the flag that John Paul Jones flew on the "Serapis," with the red, white and blue stripes.

I assume that you'll do the stars with a stencil. That should be the fun part. It would be a lot easier to make it a 13 star flag . . . (-;

Just curious -- why are you putting it on the inside instead of the outside?

Peter Ansoff

7. PUNISHER VETTE

Yeah. The home owners association might not like it on the outside..... This way is something unique that wont get me in trouble.

The stars are going to be hard but I've gotten this far. Probably use a 5 star stensil and spounge it a few coats. If not I'll have to use spray paint.

8. PUNISHER VETTE

No clue what that means but.....:cool:

9. oh wow that is really cool!!!
    ive painted an american flag that size before myself on a wall

good luck with the stars cos i foud it realy hard to get them all in perfect line!!

it looks really awesome that!- only thing i would have done different is the canton blue wiould have been lighter blue than that.

10. Peter Ansoff

No clue what that means but.....

I can assure you that it is nothing interesting or relevant (Cyrillic or otherwise).

Peter (aka, Pyotr) Ansoff

11. PUNISHER VETTE

12. OMG OMG OMG that is SO FUCKING COOL!!!!! lol

those stars are PERFECT in everyway!!!
    wel done i love it!!

happy 4th july!!!

13. Peter Ansoff

that is SO FUCKING COOL!!!!!

Вы гοворитe по-русcки!! <bg>

14. PUNISHER VETTE

It's been a while since i've been on here. Figured i'd post up a few other shots i've taken since...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I don't suppose you have a sharp looking American Flag painted on the OUTSIDE of your garage door too ??? :D :D :D :D

Robin Hickman

16. PUNISHER VETTE

I'm pretty sure my home owners association wouldn't be very happy with me if i put it on the outside...

17. Robin Hickman

Hi, Punisher Vette ! :D

Yeah, I know what you mean!

I wanted to do something similar to one of our garage doors a while back, but I didn't because we're renters and besides, my wife wouldn't let me !!!

On the other hand, a few years ago Congress passed a law and President Bush signed it, that limited Home Owners Associations "say-so" regarding propety owners' rights to fly the Flag (within reason). I assume that the "within reason" part has to do with the possible diminishing of property values. There's a thread on this site that dealt with the subject, but I don't remember where it is.

And for all we know, the law probably doesn't cover "garage door Flags"...

Would be nice, though, if it did !

Robin Hickman

18. Robin Hickman