Passing of Senator Kennedy

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by MEH299, Aug 26, 2009.

1. MEH299

MEH299 New Member

Should we be flying the flag at half-staff today due to the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy?

Thanks.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Should we be flying the flag at half-staff today due to the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy?

Yes. For members of Congress, the civilian flag code specifies that the flag shall be flown at half-staff on the day of death and the following day. Presidental Proclamation 3044 of 1954 says the same thing with respect to flags on government buildings, ships, etc.

Peter Ansoff

3. MEH299

MEH299 New Member

Thank you so very much. Your response is truly appreciated.

4. Peter Ansoff

Update: President Obama released a Presidential Proclamation yesterday (26 August 2009) that extends the half-staff period for Senator Kennedy that is designated by PP 3044. The key paragraph is as follows:

"As a mark of respect for the memory of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on August 30, 2009. I also direct that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff until sunset on the day of his interment. I further direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same periods at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations."

In summary, this says that the flag should be half-staffed until sunset on 30 August 2009, and on the day of Senator Kennedy's internment at Arlington Cemetery (which presumably will occur sometime after 30 August). This proclamation technically applies only to flags flown on government installations, but most other flag-flyers will probably follow suit.

Peter Ansoff

5. MEH299

MEH299 New Member

Thank you so much for the update. It is appreciated. Mary

6. Peter Ansoff

Further update: according to news releases, Senator Kennedy will be interred at Arlington on Saturday 29 August. According to the President's proclamation, flags should therefore remain at half-staff until sunset on Sunday 30 August, and then hoisted to full-staff on Monday morning.

Peter Ansoff

7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

We are flying three (3) Flags at half-staff in front of our house to honor the memory and service of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, who passed away this past Tuesday, August 25th, 2009. The three Flags are the current National Ensign (50 Stars), the Betsy Ross Flag (13 Stars), and the Oregon State Flag.

Three (3) Flags At Half-Staff For Senator Edward M. Kennedy :
    3Flags@HalfStaffForSenatorTedKennedy(600).JPG

President Barack Obama issued a Proclamation on Wednesday, August 26th, 2009. that Presidential Proclamation can be found at the following web address : http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-Death-of-Senator-Edward-M-Kennedy/

Robin Hickman

8. doyindayo

doyindayo New Member

Good night Senator Edward Kennedy, you are loved by the people you never met but heard about your stedfastness for justice and standing to say that a change is possible.......you stood by the believers of the America founding fathers that all men are created equal irrespective of color and race...and you stood by the black boy who now the president of giant USA and you should sleep on it's a dream realised and and a life fully lived and fulfilled.....good night and to say the least you shall be greatly missed.

9. SilentSpectreANG

SilentSpectreANG New Member

The state of Rhode Island has ordered the flag to be flown at half staff for 30 post-death.

10. Peter Ansoff

The state of Rhode Island has ordered the flag to be flown at half staff for 30 post-death.

Was it for 30 days, or until August 30th? I suspect that it was the latter, since that's what the presidential proclamation said.

Peter Ansoff

11. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Although it was mentioned/cited in the media that Governor Donald Carcieri had ordered all State agencies to fly the U.S. and R.I. Flags at half-staff until Senator Kennedy was laid to rest, I have been unable to find the "official" proclamation or press release about it. :confused:

Media Sample (WPRI) :

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/ted_kennedy/local_wpri_providence_ri_flags_at_half_staff_for_sen_ted_kennedy_20090826_nek

State of Rhode Island : http://www.ri.gov/

Governor of Rhode Island : http://www.governor.ri.gov/

Robin Hickman