Placement of multiple flags during US Flag Half Staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by jflook, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jflook

jflook Guest

I have been searching all over the Internet and reading the US Flag code trying to find an answer to the following question below, some direction would be much appreciated. My company used to only fly one flag which was the American flag, recently we have added three new poles and removed the old one. So now we fly the American flag in the middle on a higher pole with the PA state flag on it's right and the corporate flag on it's left. With September 11th coming up I would assume there would be some sort of declaration from the President ordering flags to half staff, even if there isn't I need an answer. Now that I explained that here is the question. How do we fly the American flag at half staff with the other flags, or do we not fly the other flags? If we lower the American flag it will be lower than the other two flags which is against the flag code.

2. sarahw

sarahw Guest

You can either lower all of the flags or simply fly the American flag at half staff and not fly the other ones for that day.

The president last year proclaimed that Sept. 11 should be known as Patriot Day and flags should be flown at half-staff.

I hope this helps!

Sarah

3. Our company has 3 flags. The US Flag, Corp. Logo Flag and Parent company flag. What is the proper protocol for lowering flying the flags at half mast? How many days should the flag be flown at half mast?

4. sorumd

sorumd Guest

When flags are flown at half staff can I fly multiple flags from the same pole. I am getting conflicting information regarding this. A Veteran, who I would tend to believe, tells me that only the US Flag should be hoisted to half staff on a single pole. Yet, when driving by the local VFW hall, I noticed they fly both the US and the state flag at half staff. I've searched all over the web and can not find a clear answer. Can anyone help me?